Astros Stealing Signs in 2017

TonySoprano

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yup, I can imagine exactly how these think pieces would go.

My response:  Life ain't fair.  And things don't always work out the way they should.  The good guys don't always win.  Learn it now, save yourself the heartache.

Exactly.  Should the Saints have been in the SuperBowl last year?  Yup.  Were they?  Nope.  The ref blew it big time.  Is the new "Pass Interference Review" the biggest farce in sports?  Pretty close.

The Astros cheated.  Its history.  They will put some ridiculous rules in place to attempt to correct it, and life will go on.  

I agree with ya Moose!

3 hours ago, theocean said:

Definitely a big deal. Mike Fiers was willing to go on record because he was so upset about it.

It's not Black Sox big, but anything that degrades the integrity of the game in the eyes of a large portion of MLB's fanbase is a big deal.

Like, can you imagine the media circus if the Nats lost and the Astros won? Can you imagine how many awful think-pieces journalists would be writing about how they don't know how to explain this to their poor children?

He wasn't upset when he was an Astros or a Tiger.  He moves to a division rival and now he's upset.

6 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Exactly.  Should the Saints have been in the SuperBowl last year?  Yup.  Were they?  Nope.  The ref blew it big time.  Is the new "Pass Interference Review" the biggest farce in sports?  Pretty close.

The Astros cheated.  Its history.  They will put some ridiculous rules in place to attempt to correct it, and life will go on.  

I agree with ya Moose!

Well it's that, but it's also like the other teams aren't doing similar things.  Didn't see a bunch of other teams rushing out to call out the Astros because no one wants any of the attention on themselves.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would say it improves the A's chances of a division title next year.

I think Fiers saw a chance to pile on a team that is already disliked inside the game and now with the Taubman stuff outside. He was benched in the postseason and wasn’t brought back. There are a ton of consequences doing what he did. He impacted a lot of people’s lives. 

I doubt we see any players being suspended. I think there will be some severe punishments with draft picks and I can see Hinch and Luhnow serving suspensions.

I think it is possible this galvanizes the Astros next year. They will want to shut everyone up.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I doubt we see any players being suspended. I think there will be some severe punishments with draft picks and I can see Hinch and Luhnow serving suspensions.

If you punish Hinch and Luhnow, what do you do with Beltran and Cora? Maybe Beltran gets a pass because he was a player but it's also possible an investigation finds he was a major influence in how things were done. Is a player exempt when it's electronic detection of signs?

I'm specifically thinking of the snide comment by Bregman about how much Beltran could be helping the Yankees in his front office gig.

If there's a sincere, credible investigation actually done, I don't see how this doesn't spread to a number of other teams as well, even though Manfred clearly wants to wrap up a nice tidy bow with the Astros. 

5 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

If you punish Hinch and Luhnow, what do you do with Beltran and Cora? Maybe Beltran gets a pass because he was a player but it's also possible an investigation finds he was a major influence in how things were done. Is a player exempt when it's electronic detection of signs?

I'm specifically thinking of the snide comment by Bregman about how much Beltran could be helping the Yankees in his front office gig.

If there's a sincere, credible investigation actually done, I don't see how this doesn't spread to a number of other teams as well, even though Manfred clearly wants to wrap up a nice tidy bow with the Astros. 

Beltran and Cora will be very interesting calls. Last thing the Mets want is for their new manager to be suspended before he manages his first game. 

• Like 1