Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

weams

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Marwin Gonzalez was a super utility player last season and he only had 425 ABs. I'm taking the under on Villar getting 500 ABs in 2020. 

It’s about health.  Gonzalez was unavailable for 18 games in late August/September first half.  And was unavailable for another nine game stretch earlier in the season.

38 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Marwin Gonzalez was a super utility player last season and he only had 425 ABs. I'm taking the under on Villar getting 500 ABs in 2020

I would take that bet. Marwin Gonzalez only had 425 ABs last year because he was hurt and didn't play from August 27 to Sept 16th. He had 500+ plate appearances in the previous three seasons in a super utility role. The Marlins aren't going to spend $10 million on a player to not have him be an everyday player.

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I would take that bet. Marwin Gonzalez only had 425 ABs last year because he was hurt and didn't play from August 27 to Sept 16th. He had 500+ plate appearances in the previous three seasons in a super utility role. The Marlins aren't going to spend $10 million on a player to not have him be an everyday player.

It would be... interesting... if the Marlins had (by far) the most expensive player on their roster be someone they don't intend to play every day.  If you take away Wei Yin Chin and his $22M (since they released him), Villar's salary will be something like 1/3rd of the Marlins' total payroll.

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It would be... interesting... if the Marlins had (by far) the most expensive player on their roster be someone they don't intend to play every day.  If you take away Wei Yin Chin and his $22M (since they released him), Villar's salary will be something like 1/3rd of the Marlins' total payroll.

I think they want to flip him in season.  They're betting that they'll get more in return than they gave us in the first place.  We'll see.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The pieces out there that are like "even the Marlins are choosing to spend some money, the Orioles should be ashamed!" I'm like... I do not want the Orioles emulating the Marlins under any circumstance. Picking up a 29-year old player who costs $8-10 million for one season makes absolutely no sense for them. 

We got Nelson Cruz for less than Villar is going to make, probably. 

And even if they flip him, they're going to get - what - a guy just like Lucas?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

I think they want to flip him in season.  They're betting that they'll get more in return than they gave us in the first place.  We'll see.

Which is a fair bet, but they're also betting that the return is worth ~$5 million they spend on him in the interim. I highly doubt they get $5 million in FV out of this because the team taking Villar on will be taking the other $5 million in remaining salary.

It will be a net negative for the Marlins.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's going to cost them millions to find out.

You've commented in the past on baseball's accounting methods.  I'd wager they can afford it.  Obviously, they think they can.  More and more of baseball's revenues are being diverted away from players, minor league teams, and communities.  I don't think it's good for the game in the long run.

Edited by NCRaven

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

You've commented in the past on baseball's accounting methods.  I'd wager they can afford it.  Obviously, they think they can.  More and more of baseball's revenues are being diverted away from players, minor league teams, and communities.  I don't think it's good for the game in the long run.

I don't think they are going to get 4-5 million more in prospect value.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Doesn't make it smart though.

Agreed. But it might deflect criticism from Jeter, although it's contrary to building an organization. Short sighted at the least. 

Subtle moves show Derek Jeter may be sick of Marlins embarrassment

https://nypost.com/2019/12/03/subtle-moves-show-derek-jeter-may-be-sick-of-marlins-embarrassment/

8 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

They'll also have the value of his performance while part of the team.  I know it probably won't make a huge difference, overall.  But it's not immaterial.

I'd argue he can only have value if 1) what's expected to be a losing team somehow is not and/or 2) he somehow helps the bottom line. He can be a 10 WAR player next year and be waste if they lose, TV/stadium revenue don't increase or he doesn't get a valuable return in a trade.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's going to cost them millions to find out.

So? They are at 57M with Villar. Name of the game is getting talent. $$$ is just a means. These are businesses that are given around a 200M revenue floor for the year. Told they have to spend some of that money on players. 47M payroll was probably pushing the wrong peoples buttons.

Getting a similar skilled player in FA was going likely require a mutli-year commitment. Which re-builders don't like to do.

Value is a fluid thing.

Edited by Scalious
  • Upvote 1