Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

MurphDogg

25 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They wont have Martin OPS was .581 and the A level SS they will pick up in the rule 5 won't be that good. Davis will be here and if they deal Mancini he probabaly starts everyday at 1B (especially early in the season). Bundy's replacement almost certainly will have negative value

You mean like Wojo, who was basically the same as Bundy?

I think your pessimism has obscured the fact that when you're a 54-win team you're close enough to replacement level that you don't lose much by just fielding waiver wire players.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

After giving away Villar it's not surprising Bundy was next as we heard he was on the trading block. Although Luke did a good job of doing a quick take, I decided to go watch some video of these guys to give mine since I'd never heard of any of them.

Overall it looks like Elias went for quantity as well as basically acquiring two additional draft picks from last year's draft. Zach Peek looks like the upside lottery ticket in this deal. 

Here's my quick take on the four guys acquired.

Zach Peek: The Angels 6th round pick this year, he probably has the most upside of any of the pitchers acquired. A guy who showed a three pitch mix who struggled with a his breaking ball and slipped to the 6th round despite some nice upside. I like this upside of getting this guy in the deal. He's a 40 with a 50 upside.

Kyle Bradish: Pitched at 22-years old last year in High-A ball. Uses an extreme over the top delivery to generate a 90-94 MPH fastball that has some natural cutting action at times. His 12-6 curveball (80-82) is his out pitch and it can flash plus at times, but it's inconsistent. His changeup is firm and hard at 86-87 MPH. Looks like a relief profile to me. He's a 40 with a 45 upside.

Kyle Brnovich: 21-year old 8th round pick of the Angels in 2019, Brnovich sits 90-91, with a slider (81-82, and change (82-83). Funky delivery suggests he might be better in a relief role. His slider looks like his best pitch with some late life and break. If he can pick up a little velocity he has a chance at a middle relief role. He's a 35 for me with a 40 upside.

Issac Mattson: 23-years old, right-handed reliever with a 88-91 MPH fastball that he commands pretty well and seems to get some deception so it plays up a bit. He offsets that with breaking ball that he varies between 80-82 and a below average occasional change. He's a 35 for me with a 40 upside.

Good stuff Tony, just added it to the opening post.

• Upvote 3

I wonder why a guy like Elias accepted such low-ceiling guys. I trust Tony’s judgement( and Luke’s too) so when he says a guy has a 40 upside, which is “up and down” guy, and the best guy in the deal has a hopeful ceiling of “average” that sounds like a poor return.

i don’t understand it.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

I wonder why a guy like Elias accepted such low-ceiling guys. I trust Tony’s judgement( and Luke’s too) so when he says a guy has a 40 upside, which is “up and down” guy, and the best guy in the deal has a hopeful ceiling of “average” that sounds like a poor return.

i don’t understand it.

Because you never get to be a 50. Unless you are a 40 first. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

i don’t understand it.

40 isn't "up and down" guy, it is middle relief.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

i don’t understand it.

It's hard to get high ceiling prospects in return for a back of the rotation starter, I'd imagine.

• Upvote 2