Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

MurphDogg

9 hours ago, Philip said:

Well duh, but Tony is talking about FV. Only one of the guys has a projected future value of even 50. One is a 45 and the other two top out at 40. Of course there’s a bit of wiggle room there, but the ceilings are low.

There are plenty of guys who outperform their ceilings. Many more who fall through their floors. Things happen. Strange things. 

9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Now it ended up that Gausman was so bad in 2019 with the Braves (after pitching like a no. 2 starter for them after the trade in 18) that they released him.

Gausman had two things going for him after the trade: his BABIP was really low, and he allowed a few less home runs.  He actually struck out fewer batters and walked more than he had with the Orioles.

If you look at his FIP it's been between the mid-3.00s and mid-4.00s almost every single year/team of his career.  

7 hours ago, PeteCanes said:

we could have signed Zach Wheeler for 118 mil in his 29 year old season instead.  

For me Wheeler will always be the guy we didn’t draft when we drafted Hobgood.    I remember the morning of draft day there were reports linking us with Wheeler, and then boom, we drafted Hobgood instead, with Wheeler selected immediately after.    He hasn’t been the greatest starter in the world, and he’s had injuries, but at least he’s had a solid major league career.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For me Wheeler will always be the guy we didn’t draft when we drafted Hobgood.    I remember the morning of draft day there were reports linking us with Wheeler, and then boom, we drafted Hobgood instead, with Wheeler selected immediately after.    He hasn’t been the greatest starter in the world, and he’s had injuries, but at least he’s had a solid major league career.   

Yes. That is what any good organization would have done. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Yes. That is what any good organization would have done. 

There were other guys the O’s could have drafted, including (cough) Trout.   Tyler Matzek was another name I remember floating around.    But I just remember reading stuff about the O’s being rumored to draft Wheeler when draft day rolled around.   

Some comments from Elias on the pitchers we acquired::

”[W]e are eyeing the long-term benefit of the club and for us to get four pitchers back whom we view as real prospects was too good to pass up.”

“Bradish, in particular, is somebody that I have liked dating back to the 2018 draft,” Elias said. “He went out and straight into the Cal League, which is a nasty place to pitch, and pitched over 100 innings, struck out over 120 hitters coming from a small conference, the WAC conference at New Mexico State. And he was one of the better pitchers in the California League last year over a very long body of work.

“He’s got a very unique delivery which can create some very strong opinions about him one way or the other, but he’s got four real pitches, all of which will show above-average at times, and he strikes out a lot of hitters. There’s a lot of things to like there.”

“Brnovich and Peek are guys that we had talked about, focused on in this year’s draft. I would say Mattson was the one with whom I was the least familiar, but you look at his numbers, he’s been really dominant across the minor leagues and especially lately just dominant wherever you send him, including the Arizona Fall League.

“We feel that he might be somebody that we can see up here to help our team next year.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/12/elias-on-trading-bundy-the-return-and-what-could-follow.html

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

That whole striking out 19 AAA batters in 9 innings has to be something doesn't it?

I watched an outing in which he struck out 6 and three innings and came away less than impressed. He has some deception and he'll break off a decent slider here and there, but I didn't see a guy with an outpitch for big league hitters. I will caveat this with I only watched two of his outings, but the lack of velocity is a concern at the big league level in a relief role.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well I think teams know that we’re open for business. I think Givens is gone. You could argue that Mancini is at peak value. Mancini might be a winter meetings kind of thing. Alberto and Severino could generate some interest. At this point nothing would surprise me except Means traded. 

If Elias is offered a SP, similar to the ones we’ve acquired so far, for Alberto and/or Severino, would he do that trade?

I'm not sure how much trade value either player has, but I think it's pretty clear almost no one is off the table, to include Mancini if the offer is right.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Gausman had two things going for him after the trade: his BABIP was really low, and he allowed a few less home runs.  He actually struck out fewer batters and walked more than he had with the Orioles.

If you look at his FIP it's been between the mid-3.00s and mid-4.00s almost every single year/team of his career.  

If he's cheap enough, Gausman would be a good guy to go get this offseason and then see what he looks like in a relief role.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But the magic question is what will their value be in 2022+?  They’ll be in arbitration and likely trending down. Why keep players just to be in a non tender situation?

Agreed, everyone is for sale for a price. However, arguably players like Alberto have more surplus value now than Bundy/Villar, so I could imagine getting more return. Alberto put up 3 WAR and will be getting like $1M with additional years of control, vs one year of Villar 4+ WAR for $10M. (Not sure about Severino, I really soured on him by the end of the season).