Maikel Franco

Just Regular

Without having a lot of knowledge on the player, I like the idea. Give the fans some semblance of a name to route for, and his bat could play up at OPACY. He is the kind of player that could maybe hold the position for a prospect, and have a decent shot of increasing his value prior to the deadline.

Its not a game breaker by any stretch, but worth looking into if the price is right.

Of course he's bad. Half the point of this whole thing is taking chances on struggling talents. Love his raw power/feel for contact combo. He's just been terrible at quality on contact. Will always be a free swinger, but there is some swing change gamble here for high offensive returns.

Are those odds low? Sure, but upside the game here.  Not mean projections. Would prefer Hernandez, but he's going cost more/higher demand.

Edited by Scalious

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I doubt we’ll sign anyone who’s only controllable for 2 years, unless they cost almost nothing.   And I don’t see a ton of upside here.    

The opposite.  I don’t think we’ll sign anyone for more than 1 year.  But I agree that whoever we sign will be cheap.

• 1 year later...

SS was always going to be first, but here's another random infielder knocking around, plus he co-grieved with Kris Bryant once upon a time that his service time was manipulated.

He got black ink at 60 games played, and too many HR/RBI to be tendered, so might be hoping for more than Galvis money, but doubt there are more than a few 3B openings he could win.   Needless to say Ruiz out-fielded him by a fair bit.

Imagine he's a backup for anyone in Kris Bryant trade rumors, which recently have been Jays (now married to Semien), Mets, Nationals.   He doesn't really cry out Cohen honeymoon, or Pipp Carter Kieboom at first blush.   The Brewers have been the one non-Dodgers team mentioned with Turner, who is good enough to brush one of L. Urias/Arcia aside, something not as much true of Franco.

With Realmuto/Semien done, Turner is now perhaps top FA batter, especially if you partition away Ozuna and Cruz waiting to see how NL DH negotiations turn out.

Just sussing 3B as tonight at SS our Galvis domino fell like six seconds after Semien.   Yolmer's defensive resume says 2B to me if we are using him as more than a utility infielder.

39 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

SS was always going to be first, but here's another random infielder knocking around, plus he co-grieved with Kris Bryant once upon a time that his service time was manipulated.

He got black ink at 60 games played, and too many HR/RBI to be tendered, so might be hoping for more than Galvis money, but doubt there are more than a few 3B openings he could win.   Needless to say Ruiz out-fielded him by a fair bit.

Imagine he's a backup for anyone in Kris Bryant trade rumors, which recently have been Jays (now married to Semien), Mets, Nationals.   He doesn't really cry out Cohen honeymoon, or Pipp Carter Kieboom at first blush.   The Brewers have been the one non-Dodgers team mentioned with Turner, who is good enough to brush one of L. Urias/Arcia aside, something not as much true of Franco.

With Realmuto/Semien done, Turner is now perhaps top FA batter, especially if you partition away Ozuna and Cruz waiting to see how NL DH negotiations turn out.

Just sussing 3B as tonight at SS our Galvis domino fell like six seconds after Semien.   Yolmer's defensive resume says 2B to me if we are using him as more than a utility infielder.

You want two major league signings in one offseason? Some of the hot dog vendors are going to have to get axed for that to happen.

It's a good idea for a rebuilding club, but I feel certain that Rio Ruiz's Pre-Arb salary earns him the OD 3B job.

4 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

You want two major league signings in one offseason? Some of the hot dog vendors are going to have to get axed for that to happen.

It's a good idea for a rebuilding club, but I feel certain that Rio Ruiz's Pre-Arb salary earns him the OD 3B job.

I'll come buy $8 hot dogs if I can get three major league signings next offseason.

I suppose we're on Half Rations or Quarter Rations, but hey, there's like $2M of the Standard Iglesias Offseason Budget left over and we don't even need LeBlanc and Milone both this year.

8 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I don't think they'd be interested in Franco considering they cut Renato Nunez. 

Franco is an older, worse, and probably more expensive version of Nunez. 

He can still fake 3B for the 2-way player thing though.  Warts and all he did just play a full Age 27 season pacing towards being a 3-win regular over 162.

It's fine to test Bannon out and/or try Ruiz again if the club has any hope of either of them being any good.

Two more guys hoping for NL DH.

Just looking at other down clubs - Pirates have Ke'Bryan, Tigers Paredes, Mariners Seager, Marlins Anderson, Giants Longoria

Maybe Royals want him back for cheap, perhaps same as us with Hanser/Renato.