Mount Sportsmore

NJOriolesFan

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off' date=' I have to say that I love this thread!

Second.........Chollie, after reading some of your earlier posts regarding Ray Lewis, I have to ask..........who would you put on Buffalo's Mt. Sportsmore? ;)[/quote']

Old Man Winter, Marcia Clark, Marv Levy's doctor, and William Cody.

First off' date=' I have to say that I love this thread!

Second.........Chollie, after reading some of your earlier posts regarding Ray Lewis, I have to ask..........who would you put on Buffalo's Mt. Sportsmore? ;)[/quote']

Clearly Scott Norwood, Brett Hull, Chris "No one circles the wagon like the Buffalo Bills" Berman, and the founder of the Anchor Bar.

This is 12 pages long and I stink for coming in at the end, but did anyone mention Sugar Ray Leonard?

Way up thread. Some had him with Baltimore but he was raised in Palmer Park near Landover and is really a DC guy.

Good point. I guess people probably think of Stanford more than LA when they think of Tiger. My point is that there are still individual-sport athletes that are directly associated with their hometowns......even if that wasn't where their most memorable performances occurred. I lived in the LA area back in the 90s' date=' and I can honestly say that there was no more popular athlete in SoCal than Oscar De La Hoya. I wouldn't be surprised if you polled the residents of the area who the Top 4 sports figures in LA history were that De La Hoya would be in there. Probably with Magic, Kareem, and [b']Tommy Lasorda[/b].

That's who I forgot yesterday. Bump one of those umpteen Lakers off the LA list, and add Lasorda.

Witchy

That's who I forgot yesterday. Bump one of those umpteen Lakers off the LA list, and add Lasorda.

Witchy

I thought of Lasorda too but I thought Jerry West was more LA. He was the point guard for years, the GM for years and he is the silloheute for the NBA logo. I would think he could be the face on a mountain.

Good point. I guess people probably think of Stanford more than LA when they think of Tiger. My point is that there are still individual-sport athletes that are directly associated with their hometowns......even if that wasn't where their most memorable performances occurred. I lived in the LA area back in the 90s' date=' and I can honestly say that there was no more popular athlete in SoCal than Oscar De La Hoya. I wouldn't be surprised if you polled the residents of the area who the Top 4 sports figures in LA history were that De La Hoya would be in there. Probably with Magic, Kareem, and Tommy Lasorda.[/quote']

There's absolutely no way De La Hoya would make the top 4! Many Lakers would make it over him, a few Dodgers, a famous King, and maybe some Raiders/Rams. Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush would probably beat him too.

De La Hoya was very popular everywhere in the late 90's.

Palmer doesn't need to be on Mt. Sportsmore; in his own mind he already is. Without Earl Weaver there would be no Baltimore Orioles to speak of. He made this team something remarkable and can take credit for the development of guys like Brooks and Palmer et.al.

Palmer doesn't need to be on Mt. Sportsmore; in his own mind he already is. Without Earl Weaver there would be no Baltimore Orioles to speak of. He made this team something remarkable and can take credit for the development of guys like Brooks and Palmer et.al.

By the time Earl Weaver became the manager of the Orioles, Brooks had already been with the team for 12+ years.

Why does the debate have to be Palmer OR Ray Lewis? They should both be on Mount Baltisportsmore, along with Unitas and Cal Ripken.

Brooks Robinson? Overrated. Great fielder, ok hitter. A championship caliber player, and a contributor to the glory year teams, sure, but not one of the all time greats.

One of the top 3 fielding 3B of all time(the best IMHO) heart of the glory days teams played his entire career here, HOF, most beloved athlete in B'more along with Cal. Compared to Ray Who? History goes back a little further than the last 5 minutes.

Weaver coached him in the minors along with many other home grown greats.

From Wikipedia:

Weaver joined the Orioles in 1957 as skipper of their Fitzgerald club in the Class D Georgia-Florida League, where his team finished nine games under .500; he would never again have a losing season as a minor league pilot. He was promoted to the Orioles as their first-base coach in 1968, and spent a half-season in that role before taking the managerial reins in July.

And Brooks' career

So unless Brooks was in Class D ball for 1957 when he only played 50 games in Baltimore (after having had stints with the team in 1955-56), Earl was never his minor league manager.

Not to diminish Earl in any way, or to suggest that they didn't have a good player/manager relationship. I think Earl is definitely in the discussion, but no way I'd put him in Baltimore's Top 4.

Archived