Will Elias be able to improve the O's starting pitching this off season?

wildcard

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not a bad idea.    They’re always signing pitchers to very stupid contracts.

- Zito, $126 mm, 3.0 rWAR

- Cain, $112.5 mm, -1.1 rWAR

- Cueto, $130 mm, 8.8 rWAR (two years remaining)

And they won two World Series while Zito was on the books and another when Cain's extension was on the books - so maybe bad pitching contracts are their good luck charm.

I'd guess Zaidi will try to avoid that based on his time with the Dodgers, but who knows. Maybe the Giants ownership has so much money they don't know what to do with it.

13 hours ago, 7Mo said:

When you say "cut payroll", that sounds like something different than an overall plan to rebuild the organization.

Elias and Mejdal came in with a plan and a part of that is trading MLB assets that are not long term fits. 

To me, that's far different than cutting payroll. But yes, payroll is far, far less than it was. But I haven't seen anything that says ownership ordered that. 

Trading MLB assets that are not long term fits and getting prospects in return is rebuilding the organization.  The Cashner trade and the Bundy trade fit that description.  These trades also incidentally cut payroll, but that was not the main objective.

Trading assets that are not long term fits and getting no meaningful prospects in return (e.g. the Villar trade) is all about saving money.  Maybe that money will be reinvested in some way or at some future date, but still, the point is to cut payroll.

To me there is no meaningful difference between whether ownership "ordered" a payroll cut, or whether it set a budget that was so low that Elias was forced to cut payroll to leave him enough money to sign draft picks and international prospects.  Either way, Elias had to make a trade that subtracted talent from the organization.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a few mediocre SPs were signed today. Looks like we're getting close to anyone with a pulse territory in terms of who's left. I think that's what I'm dreading most about this upcoming season. Having to watch anyone, but John Means pitch :(

Red Sox signed LHP Martin Perez to a one-year, $6 million contract with a $6.25 million club option for 2021.

ESPN's Jeff Passan reports that the Angels have signed free agent starter Julio Teheran to a one-year contract.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the White Sox have agreed to a deal with free agent left-hander Gio Gonzalez.

I can tell you one thing the Orioles can't do.  They can't fail to bring in real major leaguers and expect to build a playoff caliber team out of trades of existing assets and player development.

Until I see meaningful, and completely achievable, additions to this roste, I no longer have the feeling this is a rebuild.  This is a tear down with some inane notion that they may find a unicorn with which they plan to gallop into the stars on.

They do not have the Astros resources, that cant be the model.  

The successful small market teams, TB and the As, buy and trade in real major league players in addition to their superior prospect development.

So to answer the question.  No, I don't believe there will be meaningful additions to the rotation.  

• Upvote 1