Rule 5: Michael Rucker - RHP - Cubs

sportsfan8703

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like that statement. It’s probably 50/50 that we trade Givens. Fry might be useless if they pass implement the new rule. Right now the only pitchers that we can pencil in are,

Means, Cobb, Wojo

Givens, Harvey, Bleier, Castro, Armstrong

That’s 5 spots up for grabs and I think we’re going to lean towards pitchers that can go multiple innings. I mean, we’re going to have to with that rotation. 

I think we bring in 2-3 vet SP on milb/mlb min deals. We shouldn’t do anything to mess up the prospects development in AAA until they are ready. That includes Akin. 

I personally hope Carroll is healthy and shows well in ST. I thought he was a promising bullpen arm in that trade and I don't think we've seen him at his best in what little we have seen of him. He'd be my pick for someone that surprises after some time with Chris Holt. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Welp now you gotta break the news to him that he's trying to do too much.  Worry about just improving the CB.  haha

Yeah, a 29-year old RP with some interesting power stuff perhaps a curve tweak away from a more competitive 2-pitch repertoire then going onto the CH as Point #2 just makes me think of Marsellus Wallace on Butch's CHampionship hopes - "if you was going to make it, you woulda made it by now".

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Well my first look of Rucker this spring and I came away impressed with his fastball/slider combination. I thought he was a longshot to stick on the roster but if he can command those two pitches he's got a chance to stick in the pen.

+1, he had the one performance that jumped out at me. Live FB, weird arm angle, good command, got some swings and misses reaching for the SL and catching up to the FB. I think he faced all B-team guys though.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

He needs to stick and use Wu Tang as his entry music

Bring the mother-rucking Ruckus?

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well my first look of Rucker this spring and I came away impressed with his fastball/slider combination. I thought he was a longshot to stick on the roster but if he can command those two pitches he's got a chance to stick in the pen.

He seemed to do well yesterday, if he does stick, who do you think would be the odd man out to make room for him?

21 minutes ago, Philip said:

He seemed to do well yesterday, if he does stick, who do you think would be the odd man out to make room for him?

I don't think it's one specific guy. Hess, Milone, Shepherd, Bailey, Armstrong, Stewart, Fry, and Scott are all fighting for spots, bullpen and rotation. He could even bump Smith Jr to go with an extra pitcher.