Pipeline next five years

Frobby

2020: Bailey, Rucker, Mountcastle, Akin, Kremer, Zimmermann

2021: Lowther, Wells, Diaz, Bannon, Rutschman, McKenna, Pop

2022: Baumann, DJ Hall, Hanifee

2023: Rodriguez, Rom, A. Hall

2024: Henderson, Hernaiz, Stowers

Some of these guys will get derailed or traded, and some prospects not listed will get some major league time.    A few guys might beat my timetable.    But, that’s how I see the pipeline right now.    

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Some of these guys will get derailed or traded, and some prospects not listed will get some major league time.    A few guys might beat my timetable.    But, that’s how I see the pipeline right now.    

Great look. I think Stowers makes or breaks it by 22.

54 minutes ago, weams said:

Great look. I think Stowers makes or breaks it by 22.

53 minutes ago, weams said:

I also think Bannon might pop his head up next season. Diaz too. Diaz has to go on the 40 next year anyway. Service time not an issue. 

I generally tried to be conservative.   I agree we could see Bannon or Diaz this year.    I also think Baumann might arrive in ‘21 and GrayRod in ‘22.     But, Elias seems to be in no hurry, at least so far.     

As to Stowers, my sense is he has talent but his swing needs some work.     I don’t think they’ll rush him, especially since the OF has some younger players already in the majors and a few more on the way in the next 2 years.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I generally tried to be conservative.   I agree we could see Bannon or Diaz this year.    I also think Baumann might arrive in ‘21 and GrayRod in ‘22.     But, Elias seems to be in no hurry, at least so far.     

As to Stowers, my sense is he has talent but his swing needs some work.     I don’t think they’ll rush him, especially since the OF has some younger players already in the majors and a few more on the way in the next 2 years.   

I think if he does not make it by then, he'll be a name that we dreamed on. 

24 minutes ago, weams said:

Are we dreaming on him? I'm not. He's got to put up an enticing season first. I'm kind of just dreaming on Adley. The rest of that draft I will just be happy if we get a couple of useful guys.

• Upvote 1

It'll be disappointing if Hall and Rodriguez's talent/development doesn't take them past the one level/year rate of MLB approach. 

Pretty random, but Stowers gave a nice interview on MASN last night.  He was hanging out at the Winter Meetings and after the softball about learning about being picked while he was on deck in a big NCAA game, there was a question about how is technology helping.  He answered about the K-Vest, described all the sensors, and explained it helped him know in one of his tough stretches his lead arm was moving in sync with his torso (bad, I gathered), and that good hitters have generally familiar movement patterns of legs/hips/torso/arms.  Also had the tidbit he and Rutschman had been teammates once at some kind of showcase event.  Certainly at any point in 2020 if Stowers can get on the same team as Rutschman it'll mean he's doing well.  I hadn't realized he was L/L and approximately Markakis-sized, so it'll be a familiar look if he makes RF.

In the category of "makes me feel especially old", he named Khalil Greene as his favorite player growing up in San Diego, followed by Wil Myers.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I generally tried to be conservative.  

Yeah. I think many of those guys are 1/2 season in front of your projections assuming health.

6 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Pretty random, but Stowers gave a nice interview on MASN last night.

I honestly felt terrible for the beat reporters out there during that interview. They're probably happy with the cushy assignment, but they get sent to winter meetings essentially for 3 days of nothing and then the rule V draft. Then some recent draftee, a good but not marquee prospect, shows up and they all go running to the kid like they're talking to Barry Bonds, Jr. It wasn't like Trout, Cole or Rendon showed up and was relevant to the O's. It was Stowers and they swarmed him because it's all they got. 

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Yeah. I think many of those guys are 1/2 season in front of your projections assuming health.

I honestly felt terrible for the beat reporters out there during that interview. They're probably happy with the cushy assignment, but they get sent to winter meetings essentially for 3 days of nothing and then the rule V draft. Then some recent draftee, a good but not marquee prospect, shows up and they all go running to the kid like they're talking to Barry Bonds, Jr. It wasn't like Trout, Cole or Rendon showed up and was relevant to the O's. It was Stowers and they swarmed him because it's all they got. 

I'd love to go to a nice hotel in San Diego for 3 days of nothing, just saying. But yeah, baseball-wise, pretty boring if you're on the O's beat.

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

To me, Stowers is still a guy. I will enjoy seeing how we purify that swing. 

31 minutes ago, weams said:

Well, upon thinking about it, there’s certainly precedent.    

Hays: drafted in 2016, major league call-up in Sept. 2017.

Mancini: drafted in 2013, September call-up in 2016.    

Stewart: drafted in 2015, September call-up in 2018.

The Mancini/Stewart timetable would get Stowers here in 2022.    But, like with Akin and Mountcastle, Elias may not want to get clocks running by calling up players in September.    And keep in mind, the rules are changing this year and September call-ups will be far more limited.   So, I’d still project Stowers for no earlier than 2023, but perhaps I was too conservative in saying 2024.    Of course, he didn’t dominate in short season ball, so we’ll see how quickly he moves.   

5 minutes ago, weams said:

To me, Stowers is still a guy. I will enjoy seeing how we purify that swing. 

I think I'm probably sleeping on him a bit. It was an underwhelming debut. Of course, if AR weren't AR, I'd be sleeping on him too based on his debut (raw statistics).

Does the fact that he showed up to this meeting have any significance at all? I mean, could David Hess just show up? Does it mean he was invited for some reason? 

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I think I'm probably sleeping on him a bit. It was an underwhelming debut. Of course, if AR weren't AR, I'd be sleeping on him too based on his debut (raw statistics).

Does the fact that he showed up to this meeting have any significance at all? I mean, could David Hess just show up? Does it mean he was invited for some reason? 

I think the only significance is Stowers lives in San Diego. 

I saw a part of that interview and I think he kinda said he was worn out by the time pro ball started. Maybe I misunderstood. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

image.png.cedc8ae1d4346b56c7588bf05d8ea3ef.png

I think he still lives in El Cajon. He was not there representing the Orioles. I think he just showed up. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

We're also going to add 2020's #2 overall pick, and probably #1 overall pick.  We'll have a nice group of high end prospects with a bunch of depth guys behind them to fill out the roster.  We still lack SS depth.  That could change if we take Martin in this upcoming draft.