Fangraphs: Do you really want to Hurt Me?

weams

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/players-view-what-is-it-like-to-get-traded/

“We were in Baltimore, at the hotel. [Red Sox Manager] John McNamara called me at one o’clock in the morning — I think Mac had had a few — and he said, ‘You’ve been traded to the White Sox; call this number in the morning.’ I’m like, OK, that’s kind of weird. I said, ‘Can we talk about this?’ He said, ‘We can talk in the morning.’ We never did talk in the morning.

• Upvote 1

“We flew up to Sacramento, where my mom and dad were, and stayed around for 10 days, which was the DFA period. I went out for a run, and when I came back there was a bottle of champagne on the table. My wife said, ‘Congratulations, you’ve been traded to Toronto.’ I went, ‘Oh my God. What am I going to do in Toronto?’ In ’81, they weren’t very good.

“That was year of the strike. At the time, the Blue Jays gave their players cars. When I got to Toronto, they said, ‘Don’t bring your car, we’ll give you a Honda.’ These were loaners to use while you were with the club. When the strike hit, they took the cars away. We’d sold our house in the offseason, so we had nowhere to go. We were stranded in Toronto until the strike got settled. I was the player rep, though, so I did go to New York to help negotiate the contract.”

2 hours ago, weams said:

The Orioles were always cheap until Angelos decided to go after Albert Belle. 

Not true.    The O’s were 10th in the AL in payroll the year before Angelos bought the team (1993).   From there, they were 6th, 4th, 1st, 2nd, and 1st from 1994-98, all before they acquired Belle.    

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not true.    The O’s were 10th in the AL in payroll the year before Angelos bought the team (1993).   From there, they were 6th, 4th, 1st, 2nd, and 1st from 1994-98, all before they acquired Belle.    

So you are saying Angelos was never cheap? 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've heard from multiple sources that he instructed his people to go cheap on the draft in various years.

I don't think cheap applies to the ML payroll, but in other areas of the team...

I think it had more to do with using all resources toward the major league product. 

Like you said, pretty short-sighted and illogical approach - but he definitely spent money, while also trying to keep Camden Yards affordable.

Just now, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I think it had more to do with using all resources toward the major league product. 

Like you said, pretty short-sighted and illogical approach - but he definitely spent money, while also trying to keep Camden Yards affordable.

I'm not certain it wasn't just a matter of him not wanting to spend on unproven commodities.   Same with not wanting to pay 16 year olds in the Dominican.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've heard from multiple sources that he instructed his people to go cheap on the draft in various years.

I don't think cheap applies to the ML payroll, but in other areas of the team...

It’s a little hard to say whether he was cheap or misguided in certain areas.    In other words, if you don’t spend money on things you think are unnecessary or are not the best use of the money, and it turns out you were wrong, were you cheap, or merely misguided?     And does it matter which you were?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s a little hard to say whether he was cheap or misguided in certain areas.    In other words, if you don’t spend money on things you think are unnecessary or are not the best use of the money, and it turns out you were wrong, were you cheap, or merely misguided?     And does it matter which you were?

Possibly.

I'm not sure it was misguided as much as prejudiced.