More Mountcastle by Charles Boemmel Jr.

weams

https://www.orioleshangout.com/2020/01/12/whats-next-for-ryan-mountcastle/

The Baltimore Orioles and General Manager Mike Elias have been busy recently. The team not only reached agreements with their arbitration-eligible players, Hanser Alberto, Miguel Castro, Mychal Givens and Trey Mancini, but also added infielders Jose Iglesias and Richard Urena.

The additions of Iglesias (free agent signing) and Urena (waiver claim), in particular, have me wondering what the 2020 season has in store for infield prospect Ryan Mountcastle.

• Thanks 1

Just now, cboemmeljr said:

Right now that looks like a real possibility.

I think Corn was being sarcastic. There's absolutely no chance that actually happens. Mountcastle already spent an entire season at Norfolk; he's not going to spend another full year there. Not with starting spots ripe for the taking in the outfield or first base (whichever one Mancini isn't playing).

Mountcastle will be up by June at the latest, barring a disastrous first couple months at Norfolk.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

I think Corn was being sarcastic. There's absolutely no chance that actually happens. Mountcastle already spent an entire season at Norfolk; he's not going to spend another full year there. Not with starting spots ripe for the taking in the outfield or first base (whichever one Mancini isn't playing).

Mountcastle will be up by June at the latest, barring a disastrous first couple months at Norfolk.

I think he'll be up shortly after they gain the extra year of controllability. Mountcastle will play most of 2020 in the majors unless an injury or some strange poor performance occurs.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Right.   Boemmel is way off base to think that Mountcastle spending time playing for the O's this season is not a priority.    Its a higher priority than Davis getting playing time or Nunez.

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Right.   Boemmel is way off base to think that Mountcastle spending time playing for the O's this season is not a priority.    Its a higher priority than Davis getting playing time or Nunez.

I never intimated that it wasn't a priority, I just noted the numbers and the bodies already on the roster.  I was wondering aloud what the plan is.  Thanks for reading.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

I never intimated that it wasn't a priority, I just noted the numbers and the bodies already on the roster.  I was wondering aloud what the plan is.  Thanks for reading.

This does not sound like you think Mountcastle is a priority IMO:

Barring a trade or something else unexpected, Mountcastle seems, in my opinion, to be on the outside looking in 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This does not sound like you think Mountcastle is a priority IMO:

You are entitled to your take on the piece.  My point there (your second quote) is that he is on the 40-man but may not be on the 26-man immediately.  I also said that this may be Elias' way of challenging him to improve.  

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Zero of the players on the current roster have anything to do with Mountcastle.

If what you are saying is that Mountcastle is superior to all the other folks on the 26 man roster that are not pitchers, I have to agree. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cboemmeljr said:

You are entitled to your take on the piece.  My point there (your second quote) is that he is on the 40-man but may not be on the 26-man immediately.  I also said that this may be Elias' way of challenging him to improve.  

Well I agree that Mountcastle will not be on the 26 man roster immediately.  But that is not because he is on the outside looking in.  Its because of service time issues.   Its  a  strategic move by Elias as part of the rebuild IMO.

• Upvote 1