Is Mouncastle as good a hitter as Mancini was prior to his rookie year?

wildcard

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Mancini has off the charts baseball IQ that allows him to maximize his abilities. He really has one of the best plans at the plate that I've seen from an Orioles prospect, maybe ever. 

Yeah, and that’s just not something I’d read about him in the minors.    It seems like something he developed over time.    And honestly, Hyde thinks he can take it even further and I’m hopeful that proves to be true.    

So right now, Mountcastle’s plan is “see ball, hit ball if I can reach it.”    He’s able to execute that plan most of the time.   But hopefully he develops a more nuanced plan as he matures.    It will be fun to watch and see what happens.   

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I look at this another way.    I think Mountcastle will show in ST that he is about as slow as Mancini in the outfield and has less experience.   With Diaz coming in a year which will make the outfield Santander/Hays/ Diaz  there is no use to go through the pain of trying to make Mountcastle into an outfielder.  Therefore when he is sent to AAA he will be a full time 1B.

When he is recalled in late April Davis will have had his chance to play 1B and his bat will probably not have improved enough to hold the 1B job.  Mountcastle will take over 1B.  

That makes Santander the LF,  Mancini the RF and Nunez the DH.  Davis to the bench.

I liked what I saw from Santander last year, but he slumped towards the end and for me he’s still on trial as to whether he’s an everyday OF.     And, we need to see how Diaz progresses this year.    So, while I’d prefer these two to Mountcastle as corner OF’s defensively, we’ll just have to see how it goes.   

As to Mountcastle defensively, I’ve got a pretty open mind.     He’s barely played out there, so we’ll see how that goes.   I do think he’ll continue to get reps out there because we can’t be sure about the other corner OF candidates at this stage.   

53 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I look at this another way.    I think Mountcastle will show in ST that he is about as slow as Mancini in the outfield and has less experience.   With Diaz coming in a year which will make the outfield Santander/Hays/ Diaz  there is not use to go through the pain of trying to make Mountcastle into an outfielder.  Therefore when he is sent to AAA he will be a full time 1B.

When he is recalled in late April Davis will have had his chance to play 1B and his bat will probably not have improved enough to hold the 1B job.  Mountcastle will take over 1B.  

That makes Santander the LF,  Mancini the RF and Nunez the DH.  Davis to the bench.

Do you think it is a good idea to base development decisions of a player based on projection of another player who is a level behind and older?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Do you think it is a good idea to base development decisions of a player based on projection of another player who is a level behind and older?

I think its smart to use whatever comps are available and to get as many opinions as possible which is why I asked the question.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think its smart to use whatever comps are available and to get as many opinions as possible which is why I asked the question.

There wasn't a question in your post, which said there was no use to work Mountcastle into the outfield, because Diaz was coming up next year.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I liked what I saw from Santander last year, but he slumped towards the end and for me he’s still on trial as to whether he’s an everyday OF.     And, we need to see how Diaz progresses this year.    So, while I’d prefer these two to Mountcastle as corner OF’s defensively, we’ll just have to see how it goes.   

As to Mountcastle defensively, I’ve got a pretty open mind.     He’s barely played out there, so we’ll see how that goes.   I do think he’ll continue to get reps out there because we can’t be sure about the other corner OF candidates at this stage.   

You are generally pretty careful about your opinions.  Basically it seems you would rather wait than make a prediction.  Which is fine.    

The O's are going to have to make a decision on how to use Mountcastle defensively.    Hyde likes to play players all over which is what he may do with no pressure to win.    

Personally I just don't see a reason to switch Mountcastle to the outfield with the number of choice the O's have out there.   Not if he can play an average 1B.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yet I got a bunch of opinions.

You clearly aren’t following what DirtyBird is talking about.    His comment was not about the OP.    His comment was about your opinion that Mountcastle shouldn’t play OF because we have other possible options, including possibly Diaz in a year.   And he’s asking you whether you think it makes sense to plan Mountcastle’s development based on the possibility that another player who is a year older and a level behind (meaning Diaz) may be up here in a year.   

Just now, RZNJ said:

IF Mountcastle can play an average 1B, you almost have to wonder he didn't finish the season getting more reps there instead of LF.   Versatility is great but if they see him as an everyday player, with Mancini on the trade block this year or next and Davis eventually being phased out, he would make the most sense at 1B.    You have to wonder if the O's were down on his play at 1B in Norfolk.     With Stewart, Diaz, Santander, and to a lesser extent, McKenna and Mullins, it seems like we have plenty of OF candidates. 

I would think that means they have hope he can be a decent left fielder based on what they saw.

You don't move a young player "down" on the defensive spectrum until he has proven he can't handle the tougher position.  It lessens his options and his value.

Until you are in a major league crowded-roster situation where it's necessary, you don't move guys because of abundance either.   It's very possible that none of the five guys you mention will hit nearly as well as Mountcastle, so worrying about a future crowd in the outfield is premature.   Deal with it when it is necessary.

The O's didn't move Manny off short until they had to at the major league level to accomodate him.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I look at this another way.    I think Mountcastle will show in ST that he is about as slow as Mancini in the outfield and has less experience.   With Diaz coming in a year which will make the outfield Santander/Hays/ Diaz  there is no use to go through the pain of trying to make Mountcastle into an outfielder.  Therefore when he is sent to AAA he will be a full time 1B.

I think you are mistaken.