Could Pittsburgh use Mullins

weams

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nothing wrong with my post.  When you, a CF, get sent down and replaced with a utility infielder I have doubts if you will ever get another chance.  When you don't get a September callup, after getting one the year prior and being on the OD roster, I have doubts if you will ever get another chance.

He gets another chance if he plays really well this year. If he doesn't, he probably won't. What's so hard to understand about that?

Mullins may have been replaced with Hays had Hays not gotten hurt. There's literally no one else in the organization at CF other than Williams, and I agree we should have been watching Williams over Wilkerson all year. I still don't get that one. But that lack of depth is why Mullins is still kicking around. It's not Mullins' fault that Wilkerson was the guy they went with.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

From wiki:

The Socratic method (also known as method of Elenchus, elenctic method, or Socratic debate), is a form of cooperative argumentative dialogue between individuals, based on asking and answering questions to stimulate critical thinking and to draw out ideas and underlying presuppositions.

And it's a super frustrating thing that weams does constantly without making his opinion specifically clear. Which, on the internet, you need to do or you will invite conflict. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

And it's a super frustrating thing that weams does constantly without making his opinion specifically clear. Which, on the internet, you need to do or you will invite conflict. 

I don't find it difficult to see where he is going.

I tend to make my opinions clear yet I find myself in "conflict" with other posters.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

He gets another chance if he plays really well this year. If he doesn't, he probably won't. What's so hard to understand about that?

Mullins may have been replaced with Hays had Hays not gotten hurt. There's literally no one else in the organization at CF other than Williams, and I agree we should have been watching Williams over Wilkerson all year. I still don't get that one. But that lack of depth is why Mullins is still kicking around. It's not Mullins' fault that Wilkerson was the guy they went with.

I think it is 100% Mullin's fault that he lost his job to Wilkerson.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

Why do you keep asking questions that you already know the answer to? 

He's on the 40 man because the CF depth in the organization is poor, the organization wants to see if he bounces back to his original prospect status, and there are other players who can be DFA'd for the time being. His time is coming, sure, but he's a quick emergency defensive CF if you need one. 

This thread is weird. 

It's a typical Hangout thread. A sorta-okay prospect who everyone was salivating over a year ago struggles, now they want to cut him so they can salivate over some other half-rate prospect who will also disappoint.

I'm new to posting, but have been lurking for a while. Everyone was freaking out that Melvin Mora was going to block Josh Bell back in 200-and-whatever. There were people who wanted to trade the entire team for Wily Mo Pena. The more things change, the more they stay the same. It's the circle of life.

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

The arm's not good. Doesn't really matter. He can run down balls and the prospect pedigree was there not too long ago. It's worth another year to find out, and then we'll really have a good idea of if he's just truly lost it. 

Ok, well I assume that Pittsburgh does not wish to spend any money. If they could use Mullins, I'd be glad get back a 19 year old pitcher. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is 100% Mullin's fault that he lost his job to Wilkerson.

6 minutes ago, weams said:

BTW, This is what I believe. Though not until later. 

You guys can be super frustrating. 

Corn: You're not hearing me. Yes, Mullins lost the job, but your point was that it was worse that he lost it to Wilkerson. Wilkerson was just the guy they chose. They could have gone with Williams or McKenna or Hays, actual CFs, but for whatever reason didn't. What I'm saying is that the lack of depth in the organization is not Mullins' fault. Elias wanted to avoid going to those guys just yet, so the only other guy was Wilkerson. They felt they NEEDED to send Mullins out or his confidence/development would be in jeopardy.

Weams: You spent most of the thread asking questions that made it seem like you thought Mullins had enough value to both 1) be on the 40-man and 2) be a trade candidate for Pittsburgh. Then you say, nah, he can't throw and he's just a waiver wire guy. Which is it? And can you not see how this is confusing?

I can't imagine another team would want to trade for Mullins at this point. Also, the Pirates seem like a bit of a directionless organization. Collectively the moves they've made in recent years just don't seem to make sense. If they were going to sell high on someone this off season it probably should have have Josh Bell. They could have used him to restock their farm system. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Corn: You're not hearing me. Yes, Mullins lost the job, but your point was that it was worse that he lost it to Wilkerson. Wilkerson was just the guy they chose. They could have gone with Williams or McKenna or Hays, actual CFs, but for whatever reason didn't. What I'm saying is that the lack of depth in the organization is not Mullins' fault. Elias wanted to avoid going to those guys just yet, so the only other guy was Wilkerson. They felt they NEEDED to send Mullins out or his confidence/development would be in jeopardy.

Weams: You spent most of the thread asking questions that made it seem like you thought Mullins had enough value to both 1) be on the 40-man and 2) be a trade candidate for Pittsburgh. Then you say, nah, he can't throw and he's just a waiver wire guy. Which is it? And can you not see how this is confusing?

If he can throw and he isn't a waiver guy, maybe a team like Pittsburgh could use him. If he can't and is, maybe we can give his slot to Mason Williams. Slow day here. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I think it was worse because he lost it to Wilkerson.  They decided that a utility infielder was a better choice for CF than Mullins.  They decision to not promote McKenna or Hays had more to do with their development than it did what was happening at the ML level.

I'm not convinced they sent Mullins down to facilitate his development.  I think they looked at him, looked at Wilkerson, and wanted Wilkerson in CF.  I think they have written Mullins off as a prospect.

Fans were not super keen on Christian Walker, but he's a starter in Arizona now.

I think Cedric Mullins has shown enough potential (a year removed from .289/.346/.472 in AAA and 21 SB at 23yo) to get the benefit of the doubt that he had a down year instead of being branded as hopeless. 

• Upvote 1