Guess the 26-man opening roster

Tony-OH

19 minutes ago, Philip said:

As one of my students said,”This...was unexpected.”

Sisco can’t hit, but he makes the team as a third catcher/DH? If he’s not good enough to make the team as a catcher, doesn’t it make sense to send him down and let him develop whatever skills he is missing, including possibly learning another position? 

Smith is the best option in LF?

Nunez’s D at 3D rivals Pedro Alvarez’, I would be disappointed if they dumped Ruiz in order to keep Sisco( And I think that’s what would happen in your scenario according to what you wrote)

Finally, LeBlanc is 35 years old, he has not been productive, doesn’t it make more sense to spend time giving innings to some more significant possibilities?

mind you, I’m not arguing. We agree on almost everyone. I’m just asking for a bit of clarification, especially about Sisco.

thanks.

1. I think this is the year the Orioles have Sisco sink or swim with the bat. They could send him back, but I think he ends up having a good spring and they basically make him the full time DH vs righties.

2. Smith is a terrible option in LF, but who on the current roster will start over him? Williams? Potentially because he will be a much better defender in LF. This is a position I think the Orioles will be watching the waiver wire late in the spring. Would not surprise me in the least that Smith is not on the roster and someone else not in camp is the starting LF.

3.Nunez is not a good defender, but he's a much better hitter than Ruiz and the Orioles need to see over a full season if he can handle the position. Ruiz was -5 Outs above average and -2% success rate added as a defender so it's not like his defense was a plus. Ruiz is a well below average hitter. Nunez was -5 OOA (less games as Ruiz) with the Orioles in 2018 at 3B, and a -5% added. At the end of the day, Nunez has a better arm (though maybe not as accurate) and he's potentially part of the future while Ruiz is not a major leaguer.

4. LeBlanc is here to eat innings whether they be in the rotation or as a long reliever. He very well could get cut (as I said he's vulnerable) and signing Milone might make that easier, but I think he ends up making it and eventually gets cut when someone is ready to take those innings from the minors.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

But that's what makes Philip a good poster because he brings up discussion points and adds to the board vs providing a social media troll like response that adds nothing to the board.

I will try to be a better poster. I should have put in more work in the offseason. Hopefully I can make the most out of spring training.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

1. I think this is the year the Orioles have Sisco sink or swim with the bat. They could send him back, but I think he ends up having a good spring and they basically make him the full time DH vs righties.

2. Smith is a terrible option in LF, but who on the current roster will start over him? Williams? Potentially because he will be a much better defender in LF. This is a position I think the Orioles will be watching the waiver wire late in the spring. Would not surprise me in the least that Smith is not on the roster and someone else not in camp is the starting LF.

3.Nunez is not a good defender, but he's a much better hitter than Ruiz and the Orioles need to see over a full season if he can handle the position. Ruiz was -5 Outs above average and -2% success rate added as a defender so it's not like his defense was a plus. Ruiz is a well below average hitter. Nunez was -5 OOA (less games as Ruiz) with the Orioles in 2018 at 3B, and a -5% added. At the end of the day, Nunez has a better arm (though maybe not as accurate) and he's potentially part of the future while Ruiz is not a major leaguer.

4. LeBlanc is here to eat innings whether they be in the rotation or as a long reliever. He very well could get cut (as I said he's vulnerable) and signing Milone might make that easier, but I think he ends up making it and eventually gets cut when someone is ready to take those innings from the minors.

Interesting take on Sisco. I actually think expanded rosters really could help his career. He looks like a 5th bench type option. No law for teams that they have to carry a 13th pitcher although I’m sure most will. 

8 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I would have just said, "wrong".

When my kids play something for me, I have them evaluate what they’ve just played. When they say, “that was really bad” I remind them that “bad” is negative without purpose. Don’t say it was bad, rather say what was wrong and why. That identifies a problem, implies a solution and a path to improvement.

”wrong” expresses nothing except disagreement.

I disagree with Tony about Sisco, Milone and LeBlanc, but now I understand his reasoning. And about Nunez/Ruiz, I agree with that point. Nunez remains terrible but Ruiz is worse on D than I thought, and Nunez can at least hit.

edit: today Nunez was baaaad.

I May go back to preferring Ruiz

Edited by Philip
Nunez was baaad

I’m going to cheat off Tony’s idea on Sisco a little bit. Still think Ruiz makes team though. Smith will be odd man out. 

C - Severino, Wynns and Sisco (3)

Inf - Ruiz, Iglesias, Alberto, Davis, Nunez, Valazquez  (6)

Of - Mancini, Hays, Santander and Mason Williams  (4)

If they don’t go with the 3 catcher idea then I see Urias on team. Still think good chance Smith does not make team. 

SP (4)

Means 

Cobb

Wojo 

LeBlanc

RP (9)

Givens

Harvey 

Bleier 

Castro 

Armstrong

Scott

Bailey 

Rucker 

Milone 

Kind of a technicality here. They need 5th starter on April 1. With weather that time of year I doubt they announce a 5th starter out of gate. 

I bumped Fry for Scott. I think they try to keep Rule 5 pitchers as long as they can. Stewart and Sulser are hurt because of their options.  

• Upvote 1

My theory on Sisco is he’s either going to develop into the kind of hitter he’s been in the minors, and stick at catcher, or he’s not going to hit and his career will be very short.    I’m rooting for the former but the drafting of Rutschman makes it far less important whether Sisco succeeds or fails.   

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My theory on Sisco is he’s either going to develop into the kind of hitter he’s been in the minors, and stick at catcher, or he’s not going to hit and his career will be very short.    I’m rooting for the former but the drafting of Rutschman makes it far less important whether Sisco succeeds or fails.   

I think he has already failed. He was just a bad draft pick. But that’s OK. But I’d still like to try him at a different position. He’s pretty hopeless at catcher even as a back up

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I think he has already failed. He was just a bad draft pick. But that’s OK. But I’d still like to try him at a different position. He’s pretty hopeless at catcher even as a back up

He was not a bad pick.

Hobgood was a bad pick.

The kid has made the majors.

Anyone that thinks he was a bad pick has unrealistic expectations of what you can expect out of the second round.

• Upvote 3