Guess the 26-man opening roster

Tony-OH

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was not a bad pick.

Hobgood was a bad pick.

The kid has made the majors.

Anyone that thinks he was a bad pick has unrealistic expectations of what you can expect out of the second round.

7th most rWAR (0.3) of the 34 picks in the second round of the 2013 draft.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

18 people entered this contest:

Awards:

Unanimous Picks (13): Alberto, Iglesias, Nunez, Mancini, Hays, Santander, Severino, Cobb, Means, Wojo, Harvey, Bleier, Castro

Otherwise Unanimous:

• ScGO's - No Davis
  • Tony - No Ruiz
  • Steve A - No Bailey
  • Eric - No Givens
  • Tommy Pickles & ChipTait - No Armstrong

Hail Mary's (only person to pick):

• Interloper - Mountcastle
  • ChipTait - Rondon
  • Steve A - Lakins & Tate
  • ScGO's - Akin
  • Aristotelian - Carroll
  • eddie83 - Wynns
  • Tommy Pickles & Philip - Shepherd
  • tntorioles & ScGO's - Wilkerson
  • Aristotelian & Chuck A - D.J. Stewart
  • Philip & Chuck A - Not currently rostered player

How is everyone feeling now?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2020 at 1:02 PM, interloper said:

Infield (7)
Davis, Alberto, Iglesias, Ruiz, Nunez, Urena, Urias

Outfield (5)
Mancini, Hays, Santander, Williams, Mountcastle

Catchers (2)
Severino, Sisco

Starting pitchers (5)
Cobb, Means, Wojciechowski, Milone, Bailey

Relief pitchers (7)
Givens, Harvey, Bleier, Castro, Armstrong, Hess, Sulser

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Awards:

Unanimous Picks (13): Alberto, Iglesias, Nunez, Mancini, Hays, Santander, Severino, Cobb, Means, Wojo, Harvey, Bleier, Castro

Otherwise Unanimous:

• ScGO's - No Davis
  • Tony - No Ruiz
  • Steve A - No Bailey
  • Eric - No Givens

• ChipTait - Rondon
  • ScGo's - Akin
  • Aristotelian - Carroll

I'm absolutely wrong on Urias and/or Urena. I think Velazquez is a near lock over those guys. I'm not sure Williams makes it either, mostly because Velazquez can play CF and they could opt to give Smith Jr. another look as a lefty bench bat. 

I still feel ok about Mountcastle, but it was always a long shot. 

Hess I'm less confident about. Could see Rucker there. Rucker's been fantastic. 

Basically it's completely in shambles. 

7 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Awards:

Otherwise Unanimous:

• ScGO's - No Davis
  • Tony - No Ruiz
  • Steve A - No Bailey
  • Eric - No Givens
  • Tommy Pickles & ChipTait - No Armstrong

• ChipTait - Rondon
  • ScGO's - Akin
  • Aristotelian - Carroll
  • eddie83 - Wynns
  • Tommy Pickles & Philip - Shepherd
  • tntorioles & ScGO's - Wilkerson
  • Aristotelian & Chuck A - D.J. Stewart
  • Philip & Chuck A - Not currently rostered player

Well I think I was wrong about Shepard, and Milone and LeBlanc and Sulser and Urena.

aside from that, I feel great!

On 2/22/2020 at 4:37 PM, Philip said:

I think he has already failed. He was just a bad draft pick. But that’s OK. But I’d still like to try him at a different position. He’s pretty hopeless at catcher even as a back up

23/24 year old C. Either led or was at the top of the league in hitting in every stop in the minors. He had a .729 OPS last year, aka better than the great Trey Mancini’s .715 OPS in 2018. 

Catchers take longer to develop. Sisco will be fine. He’ll never be a GGer, but neither are 90% of Catchers in the MLB. Plus, who steals bases anymore?  

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

23/24 year old C. Either led or was at the top of the league in hitting in every stop in the minors. He had a .729 OPS last year, aka better than the great Trey Mancini’s .715 OPS in 2018. 

Catchers take longer to develop. Sisco will be fine. He’ll never be a GGer, but neither are 90% of Catchers in the MLB. Plus, who steals bases anymore?  

His defense is so bad at catcher that his offense would need to be other-worldly. It isn’t. If he can improve his hitting he could be playable at another position, but at the moment, he’s not playable anywhere.

his K and BB rates did improve a bit last year so he could survive but he’s still a work in progress.

31 minutes ago, Philip said:

His defense is so bad at catcher that his offense would need to be other-worldly. It isn’t. If he can improve his hitting he could be playable at another position, but at the moment, he’s not playable anywhere.

his K and BB rates did improve a bit last year so he could survive but he’s still a work in progress.

You keep saying this and it just isn't true.  He is above replacement for his career.  

Replacement isn't an unreasonable goalpost for a backup catcher.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sisco will not be fine. He can't hit. He is a strikeout machine.

• Upvote 1

Re: Sisco, we're not yet seeing any results from his offseason work in which he rebuilt his swing. He's got a new stance up there, supposedly tapped into his lower half, fixed some things. So far, not seeing much of anything. He usually murders in ST, too. 

I didn't put out a list, but would agree with most of RZ's work above.  I would be surprised, unless there is a complete fall-out stuff-wise, if we didn't keep both Rule V picks.  We are still in talent acquisition mode and I expect we will give both of those guys every opportunity to make the team.

I have been a Ruiz fan since we acquired him and his overall stats were bad, but IMO, he is better than he has shown and I thought he did fine in the second half.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

1B Davis  

2B Alberto

SS Iglesias

3B Ruiz

C  Severino

LF Santander

CF Hays

RF Mancini

DH Nunez

Bench -  Holaday, Velazquez, Williams, Valaika

Starters

Means

Cobb

Wojo

LeBlanc

Milone

Bullpen

Givens

Fry

Harvey

Bleier

Castro

Rucker

Armstrong

Bailey

DFA - Lakins,  Wynns, Urias, Tate

You need to DFA 5.   LeBlanc, Milone, Williams, Valaika and Holaday are not on the 40 man.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Sisco has little to no trade value.  He's still young and he can still get better.   He put up great numbers in a limited number of AB's in AAA last year.   We have nothing to lose by letting him try to get better in AAA.   He needs to hit better even if he stays at catcher and he needs to hit a lot better if they try him at another position (3B?).

We have nothing to lose by letting him play in the majors. At some point he is what he is.