Davis is definitley jacked this year...

Sir_Loin

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You lost me.

How did he already have the mass if he gained 25 pounds? 

So the saying muscle weighs more than fat is not entirely true.  A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.  It is just that they are more dense.  So he can be the same weight, but gained 25 lbs of muscle.  It doesn't mean he weighs 25 lbs more than he did last season. 

3 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

So the saying muscle weighs more than fat is not entirely true.  A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.  It is just that they are more dense.  So he can be the same weight, but gained 25 lbs of muscle.  It doesn't mean he weighs 25 lbs more than he did last season. 

I'm still lost.  Where was it said that he put on 25 pounds of muscle?

The MASN quote from the beginning of this thread says:

He discussed how he put on 25 pounds of weight in order to increase his strength.

20 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So he doesn't have the work ethic/discipline to rework his swing, but I'm to believe he does have it to drastically transform his body in a very short amount of time?

You can believe what you want.  Reading the Sisco working with hitting guru article in the Sun the other day makes sense compared to what Davis has been saying about not wanting to change his swing.  The hitting guru working with Sisco was saying some guys come to him fully willing to revamp their swing, whatever helps.  Others have fear that they have the can't teach an old dog new tricks mentality, so he tweaks their already existing form and swing, or try the tweaks and revert back if they feel pressured or worried.  My assumption is this year may be different than the last two.  The last two, he probably was content to ride the bench, get his paycheck.  But if he was considering walking away from $79M and retiring, I think there was some added motivation to hit the gym 2 times a day and take it more seriously.  We'll see what happens of course.  

18 hours ago, atomic said:

I have an XXL frame and am inch shorter than Davis. I could probably add 25 pounds in a few months if I followed a beer and pizza diet.  But I don’t think 25 pounds of muscle is anyway possible.

25 lbs of muscle over 5 months (Oct-Feb) is roughly a pound a week, which any trainer can tell you is doable.  He has all the resources.  Many athletes have done this.  Better eating, working out, from my experience its not that difficult.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jarman86 said:

25 lbs of muscle over 5 months (Oct-Feb) is roughly a pound a week, which any trainer can tell you is doable.  He has all the resources.  Many athletes have done this.  Better eating, working out, from my experience its not that difficult.  

So you are suggesting his body fat percentage is down from last year? 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm still lost.  Where was it said that he put on 25 pounds of muscle?

The MASN quote from the beginning of this thread says:

I was responding to the posters in this thread (willbill, Sportsfan, and atomic) that stated it was muscle.  I'm just saying its not unreasonable to add 25 pounds of muscle in 5 months.  

Just now, jarman86 said:

I was responding to the posters in this thread (willbill, Sportsfan, and atomic) that stated it was muscle.  I'm just saying its not unreasonable to add 25 pounds of muscle in 5 months.  

Maybe (I have my doubts someone in their 30's could do it), but you are going to put on more than 25 total pounds in doing so.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you are suggesting his body fat percentage is down from last year? 

Not suggesting anything, I don't know his body fat percentage, just responding to the fact it is not unreasonable as a professional athlete to gain 25 pounds of muscle in a 5 month period.  It could be it went up because he did 25 pounds of beer and pizza with atomic.  But seeing as he looks more physically built in the pic comparisons and his muscular structure is similar to what it was in 2017, I'd say he converted/gained what he lost which is not at all hard to do, speaking from my own lifting experience.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe (I have my doubts someone in their 30's could do it), but you are going to put on more than 25 total pounds in doing so.

I'm same age as Crush, workout 5-7 times a week, lifting 3-4 times, and I've probably never been stronger, I'm not increasing the weights as high and frequently as I used to.  I use protein powder, eat better (more vegetables and cooking my own meals) and that is it.

23 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

Any trainer?  I don't see any of the trainers at the gyms I have gone to looking like Davis.  If it were so easy than the trainers would all be jacked up.  Most of them have less muscle than me.  Let's us not make stuff up and act like it is easy.  I know people that are gym rats and don't build any additional muscle size. 

20 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

I'm same age as Crush, workout 5-7 times a week, lifting 3-4 times, and I've probably never been stronger, I'm not increasing the weights as high and frequently as I used to.  I use protein powder, eat better (more vegetables and cooking my own meals) and that is it.

You do know a lot of those over the counter protein powders have steroids in them.  

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It hasn't been confirmed that Davis put on 25 lbs of muscle, correct? Davis looks more ripped for sure, but he's almost 34 years old and putting on that much muscle (naturally) in one offseason seems like a bit of a stretch.

Wouldn't it be kind of a stretch to see a guy, clearly in much better physical shape than we last saw him, to say that he put 25 pounds of anything other than muscle? Like, he's not fatter. 

We should be questioning whether he's 25 pounds heavier, and not whether it's muscle or fat.

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

Any trainer?  I don't see any of the trainers at the gyms I have gone to looking like Davis.  If it were so easy than the trainers would all be jacked up.  Most of them have less muscle than me.  Let's us not make stuff up and act like it is easy.  I know people that are gym rats and don't build any additional muscle size. 

Yes, any trainer.  If he is putting in two workouts a day of heavy lifting, every day, a pound a week is achievable.  

Being a gym rat has nothing to do with muscle size.  It also has to do with genetics, that's why teams looks for projectable players and whether they can add size or not.  Billy Hamilton is one who could spend days in the weight room and not be size of chris davis.  He can still put on muscle mass, but his body buildup is different.  

I genetically have tree trunk thighs, I, from experience, cannot lift legs for months, but give me one month in the gym of leg work my legs are built as heck and I'm squatting 3-400 pounds.  I'm not making stuff up, while not a certified trainer, I have played on Coast Guard rugby team that placed 2nd in all Armed forces tournament, so I have worked with trainers, physical therapists, and those in the profession.

As to the protein, I get piss tested being a service member and there is a list of banned substances just as in baseball and I steer away from the products that have crap in them anyways cause its generally garbage, as there are hardly any FDA regulations on these products and the claims they make aren't always true.   

• Upvote 1