Broadcasting changes

eddie83

20 minutes ago, Aglets said:

He's there in the paragraph that starts talking about Gary Thorne.   "Longtime announcers JIM HUNTER and TOM DAVIS will bring their decades of Orioles experience to new roles as regular on-air contributors in 2020."

Maybe this means he will have a reduced role?

Davis was reduced last year. Rob Long took over a good portion as post game host.  

26 minutes ago, Aglets said:

In all seriousness I agree with Moose.  I think Hunter is quite good on the radio actually.   But annoying on TV for whatever reason.

I like Garceau though, so I'm sure he will be a good addition.

I feel the same. I like Hunter on the radio, but not on TV. I think he just talks too much for TV. We can see a lot of the stuff on the screen; let the broadcast breathe a bit. On the radio, we obviously can't see anything, so I don't mind him talking as much and telling us what is going on. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Also this in addition for those interested.  

Nice to see Weinman get his own show rather than be the utility man filling in everywhere.   He's good and he deserves it, even though he talks a little more NBA than I would be interested in.

Jeremy Conn kind of gets screwed by this, as his 6-9 timeslot will be pre-empted a LOT during the season.

THANK GOD!!!! From what I've seen I like Hunter as a person. And for being MC for things like Opening Day introductions, O's HOF etc. he's very good at that stuff. But he is insufferable doing pbp. Especially when paired with Palmer. All he can do is quote stats and "modest hitting streaks."

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The press release makes no mention of spring training broadcasts.   I can't ever remember a season when the first preseason game wasn't on the radio, but we are about 69 hours out and there is nothing about it on 105.7's web site.

Saturday's game is being broadcast on the Braves TV network. I'm hoping my "special" internet link will carry it. Be interesting to hear what they might say about Markakis' recent comments.

3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

THANK GOD!!!! From what I've seen I like Hunter as a person. And for being MC for things like Opening Day introductions, O's HOF etc. he's very good at that stuff. But he is insufferable doing pbp. Especially when paired with Palmer. All he can do is quote stats and "modest hitting streaks."

Melanie Newman is a new addition to the team

• Upvote 1

I am disappointed that Kevin Brown will be back, he is terrible. What he says is not interesting,  the way he says it is not interesting and his voice is not interesting. When you’re on the radio, you’re a storyteller, and you have to have an engaging voice, which he does not have and you have to describe events in an interesting way, which he does not do.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

In all seriousness I agree with Moose.  I think Hunter is quite good on the radio actually.   But annoying on TV for whatever reason.

I like Garceau though, so I'm sure he will be a good addition.

I’m also in the Hunter is better on the radio camp. He seems to provide  less arcane non-sequitur stats and more useful observations/critiques for whatever reason. Joe Angel didn’t seem to like him (or at least didn’t click with him in the booth). That was entertaining in its own right.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

I am disappointed that Kevin Brown will be back, he is terrible. What he says is not interesting,  the way he says it is not interesting and his voice is not interesting. When you’re on the radio, you’re a storyteller, and you have to have an engaging voice, which he does not have and you have to describe events in an interesting way, which he does not do.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1