The Navy Midshipman who passed away...

SteveA

... was the son of a former Oriole minor leaguer.

David Forney, 22, a midshipman and starting G from the Navy football team, was found dead in his dorm room.   No foul play or suicide is suspected, they have not yet released the cause of death.

His father, Rick Forney, was a 1991 draftee of the Orioles who made it as high as AAA Rochester but never made the majors.   For the last 14 years Rick Forney has been the manager of an independent minor league team in Winnipeg.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, SteveA said:

David Forney, 22, a midshipman and starting G from the Navy football team, was found dead in his dorm room.   No foul play or suicide is suspected, they have not yet released the cause of death.

His father, Rick Forney, was a 1991 draftee of the Orioles who made it as high as AAA Rochester but never made the majors.   For the last 14 years Rick Forney has been the manager of an independent minor league team in Winnipeg.

I definitely remember Rick Forney.  For a while the Winnipeg Goldeyes were something of a landing spot for former Oriole farmhands.  Forney pitched for them for four years.  Harry Berrios later played about four years as one of their best hitters.  Chip Alley was there for a while.  And George Sherrill wasn't drafted but pitched a couple years in the Frontier League, then a couple in Winnipeg, before signing with the Mariners' org.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I remember Rick Forney.  The O's once had a prospect (for them) laden rotation at Bowie one year.  Someone correct me or help me out. Rick Forney, Scott Klingenbeck, Vaughn Eshelman, .....

Anyway, it's a very sad story for any family.  As the story quoted the parents, a worst nightmare come true.

That was the era when I had a BaySox partial season plan and saw all those guys pitch multiple times.  But I was a bigger fan of Harry Berrios, although looking at his numbers I'm not sure why.  The only time he ever hit in the O's system was '94 split between Albany and Frederick.  They also had Howie Clark, the mythical Willis Otanez, Dave Dellucci, Danny Clyburn, Calvin Maduro, Eugene Kingsale, Augie Ojeda.

19 hours ago, SteveA said:

That’s so terrible. I will pray for his family and friends.