MLB (Orioles) suspended indefinitely

atomic

18 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

There are a lot of unknowns out there right now.  The mortality rate for coronavirus appears to be between 2.0 - 2.5% - which is relatively low - but still 20 times greater than influenza (0.1%) which, as others have pointed out, has already been responsible for 18,000 deaths this year.  18,000 X 20 = 360,000 which is obviously certainly something to be concerned about.  

Hopefully the coronavirus turns out to be seasonal which will give the medical community more time to come up with a vaccine and to learn more about the virus... and also preserve the baseball season.   

The WHO just upped the death rate to 3.5 percent.  SARs during the virus was said to have a 2 percent death rate.  After it was over the final stats said 9 percent.

In Wuhan province death rate was 5.8 percent.  And the Chinesse were totally on the ball. They built 19 hospitals.  We won't build one hospital for this.  They also tested everyone. We aren't testing anyone. I expect rate higher than 5.8 percent.  There are also supposed to be two strains.  One more deadly than the other.  The one in Washington State is the more deadly one. 

China also quarantined a city of 11 million people.  Welded people into their apartment buildings.  Cancelled Chinese New Year.  We are doing absolutely nothing.  This virus just shows how much we have fallen as a country.  

We are now 43 in life expectancy.   5 years behind Japan. 

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

The WHO just upped the death rate to 3.5 percent.  SARs during the virus was said to have a 2 percent death rate.  After it was over the final stats said 9 percent.

Actually, the WHO's death rate is 50%  Entwistle and Moon are dead, leaving Townshend and Daltrey.

• Like 1

Just now, MongoBoy said:

Actually, the WHO's death rate is 50%  Entwistle and Moon are dead, leaving Townshend and Daltrey.

You might want to recalculate that as Kenny Jones was a member of the Who as well. 

8 hours ago, backwardsk said:

WrestleMania is a month away in Tampa, where a cited case is not all that far away.  Many international fans attend.  Let’s see what they do.

They just cancelled a music festival in Miami.   

The US craziness is just starting, We in for a bumpy few weeks. 

At least one fan defied his own pulmonary disease to attend the game. Another one insisted on continuing to high-five those in nearby seats, hand-washing be damned. Yet another couldn’t stay away after the home team’s recent surge, despite his wife’s misgivings.

Hours after Santa Clara County public health officials recommended that large gatherings like sporting events be cancelled in light of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, the San Jose Sharks opted to keep the doors open for Thursday night’s game against the Minnesota Wild, and thousands of followers showed up.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/sharks/2020/03/05/coronavirus-san-jose-sharks-fans-unfazed-covid-19-concerns/4972532002/

The NCAA has made a major decision about Division III basketball's upcoming postseason tournament games at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Maryland: there will be no spectators. It announced Thursday that in response to recently confirmed cases of CO-VID19 (the strain of coronavirus that has made its way across the world in recent months) in the area, the games will move forward without fans. 

"In light of Maryland's recently confirmed cases of COVID-19, and based on CDC guidance for large gatherings, we have determined that it is prudent to hold this tournament without spectators," the NCAA said. "We are not making any determination about other JHU events at this time; while we await further guidance from public health authorities, we will be assessing large events on a case-by-case basis."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-will-not-allow-fans-at-division-iii-basketball-tournament-games-at-johns-hopkins-due-to-coronavirus/

A hotel in a Baltimore suburb on Thursday canceled the reservation of the Yeshiva University men’s basketball team over fears of novel coronavirus, the coach of the Maccabees told The Associated Press.

Coach Elliot Steinmetz said the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel in Pikesville canceled the reservation, forcing the team to book rooms at a different hotel. A student at the Orthodox Jewish university has tested positive for the virus.

“I made it very clear to the hotel that it’s discrimination,” Steinmetz said. “I basically said to them: ‘Do you have a checkbox on your website that says that you’ve been in an area with suspected coronavirus?’ And they said no. So I said: ‘Is it just for the guests of Yeshiva University?’ And they said yes. I told them that that’s called discrimination.”

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/yeshiva-u-team-hotel-cancels-reservation-over-virus-fears

12 hours ago, Going Underground said:

The US craziness is just starting, We in for a bumpy few weeks. 

At least one fan defied his own pulmonary disease to attend the game. Another one insisted on continuing to high-five those in nearby seats, hand-washing be damned. Yet another couldn’t stay away after the home team’s recent surge, despite his wife’s misgivings.

Hours after Santa Clara County public health officials recommended that large gatherings like sporting events be cancelled in light of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, the San Jose Sharks opted to keep the doors open for Thursday night’s game against the Minnesota Wild, and thousands of followers showed up.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/sharks/2020/03/05/coronavirus-san-jose-sharks-fans-unfazed-covid-19-concerns/4972532002/

The NCAA has made a major decision about Division III basketball's upcoming postseason tournament games at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Maryland: there will be no spectators. It announced Thursday that in response to recently confirmed cases of CO-VID19 (the strain of coronavirus that has made its way across the world in recent months) in the area, the games will move forward without fans. 

"In light of Maryland's recently confirmed cases of COVID-19, and based on CDC guidance for large gatherings, we have determined that it is prudent to hold this tournament without spectators," the NCAA said. "We are not making any determination about other JHU events at this time; while we await further guidance from public health authorities, we will be assessing large events on a case-by-case basis."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-will-not-allow-fans-at-division-iii-basketball-tournament-games-at-johns-hopkins-due-to-coronavirus/

A hotel in a Baltimore suburb on Thursday canceled the reservation of the Yeshiva University men’s basketball team over fears of novel coronavirus, the coach of the Maccabees told The Associated Press.

Coach Elliot Steinmetz said the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel in Pikesville canceled the reservation, forcing the team to book rooms at a different hotel. A student at the Orthodox Jewish university has tested positive for the virus.

“I made it very clear to the hotel that it’s discrimination,” Steinmetz said. “I basically said to them: ‘Do you have a checkbox on your website that says that you’ve been in an area with suspected coronavirus?’ And they said no. So I said: ‘Is it just for the guests of Yeshiva University?’ And they said yes. I told them that that’s called discrimination.”

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/yeshiva-u-team-hotel-cancels-reservation-over-virus-fears

I think a discrimination lawsuit is worth that risk.  BTW I saw Flesh for Lulu a couple of times back in the 80s.  Nick Marsh their lead singer died 5 years ago.  Looked them up recently after watching Some Kind of Wonderful. I was sad 5 years late. Of course I have seen Dinosaur Jr a couple of times as well.