MLB (Orioles) suspended indefinitely

atomic

14 minutes ago, barellano said:

At this rate there is NO WAY they start the season as scheduled. The NCAA and NBA decisions make it nearly impossible for MLB to do anything but delay it.  

I agree. I think we'll either see a month of fan-less games, or they will delay it. It's the right thing to do. 

#flattenthecurve

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, atomic said:

Also as 15 percent of people need ventilators to recover they would overwhelm the healthcare system if everyone got sick at once.  In Italy they are already doing triage that if you are over a certain age and need ICU you aren't going to get it. 

Agree, if 1 million people get it at the same time there is no healthcare available for that many people. Italy is overwhelmed with 10000 sick.  I dont know what the threshold is for US. But this could soon happen in California and NYC.

The way things are being cancelled or suspended right now, I expect some kind of alteration to the MLB season. I'm supposed to be heading down to Sarasota tomorrow, but I'm thinking I may not even be able to have much access now with their new 6-feet rule. I would not be surprised if the spring games aren't limited as well here soon.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The way things are being cancelled or suspended right now, I expect some kind of alteration to the MLB season. I'm supposed to be heading down to Sarasota tomorrow, but I'm thinking I may not even be able to have much access now with their new 6-feet rule. I would not be surprised if the spring games aren't limited as well here soon.

Don't go man, it's not worth it.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Not sure why anyone would go on a cruise right now .

Carnival’s Princess Cruises to pause global ship operations for 60 days, shares tank more than 20%

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/carnivals-princess-cruises-to-pause-global-ship-operations-for-60-days-over-coronavirus.html

Because you are in a low risk group and could get a really great deal?  I wouldn't do it, but I could see the risk reward making sense for some folks.

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Things seem to change by the minutes. Be interesting to see what the NHL does today. People think a shutdown for awhile. Then what does baseball do?

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Also as 15 percent of people need ventilators to recover they would overwhelm the healthcare system if everyone got sick at once.  In Italy they are already doing triage that if you are over a certain age and need ICU you aren't going to get it. 

As interloper says below flattenthe curve.  Healthcare treatment capacity could be greatly benefitted by taking every precaution.  Even if the exact same number of people got it but over a longer period of time it can still stay under the healthcare capacity limit.

Put it this way, I know some healthcare institutions are looking at their stocks to determine if they have enough preventative gear (masks, gloves) for their healthcare workers to provide care and its close.  The less the general pop has to use (for instance not having 1000s attend baseball games with masks on) the better.

To add levity, MLBTR has a post "Carlos Carrasco questionable for opening day" and I think we could amend it at this point to "Opening day questionable for opening day."

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Things seem to change by the minutes. Be interesting to see what the NHL does today. People think a shutdown for awhile. Then what does baseball do?

I am hoping for a normal schedule with fan-less games for awhile, but as we've seen with the NBA, it only takes one player to be diagnosed for a season to be delayed.

I think one scenario we could be looking at is a shortened season. June through the playoffs, with a ton of asterisks on this season in terms of the stats and playoff winners. 

Pitchers will just have to keep throwing sim games probably for a couple months. 

Huge bummer all around. 

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

As interloper says below flattenthe curve.  Healthcare treatment capacity could be greatly benefitted by taking every precaution.  Even if the exact same number of people got it but over a longer period of time it can still stay under the healthcare capacity limit.

Put it this way, I know some healthcare institutions are looking at their stocks to determine if they have enough preventative gear (masks, gloves) for their healthcare workers to provide care and its close.  The less the general pop has to use (for instance not having 1000s attend baseball games with masks on) the better.

If we don't make a national effort to flatten the curve we likely will have multiple pockets where the caseload is too great for the hospitals. It will resemble what's going on now in northern Italy.

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

NBA was going to play before closed arena, that is, until one of their players tested positive and forced teams that player Portland to go into self imposed quarantine.

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

If we don't make a national effort to flatten the curve we likely will have multiple pockets where the caseload is too great for the hospitals. It will resemble what's going on now in northern Italy.

Im pretty sure that is already happening

They could play in spring training facilities without fans.  Like I said before.  But I think it is doubtful.  Union probably will pressure league. I don't think Florida cares.  Disney World is open and packed.