Mancini - Malignant Colon tumor successfully removed (Updated)

weams

Wishing for a speedy recovery Trey and this reminds me of Eric Davis who went through similar in the 1997 season. Davis missed a large chunk in the middle of the season, but came back for the playoff run.

Hoping we see Trey comeback later this year and help the Orioles not quite be as bad. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/megan-zahneis-eric-davis-showed-toughness-for-reds-in-fight-vs-cancer/c-120215884

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Wishing for a speedy recovery Trey and this reminds me of Eric Davis who went through similar in the 1997 season. Davis missed a large chunk in the middle of the season, but came back for the playoff run.

Hoping we see Trey comeback later this year and help the Orioles not quite be as bad. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/megan-zahneis-eric-davis-showed-toughness-for-reds-in-fight-vs-cancer/c-120215884

Maybe the world skips 2020.Everyone start anew in 2021.

He could have blood in his stool,stomach pain,etc.Seems to be growing with younger people in the last few years.Many theories but no definitive results Genetics,diet,obesity and alcholism.But sometimes you are dealt a bad hand..

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

All the best to Trey for a safe and speedy recovery. I am, however, surprised the Orioles would release the details of his situation.  Perhaps Trey gave the okay?  Again, and more importantly, I hope all goes well moving forward.

Without looking up the numbers, I believe colon cancer is even more devastating than breast cancer, which gets a lot more funding and publicity for various reasons.  Perhaps there was some consideration to increasing awareness and to get people asking questions about their health and proper testing, just has occurred in this thread.

58 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Without looking up the numbers, I believe colon cancer is even more devastating than breast cancer, which gets a lot more funding and publicity for various reasons.  Perhaps there was some consideration to increasing awareness and to get people asking questions about their health and proper testing, just has occurred in this thread.

I agree that such news brings attention to an important matter (and one I'm familiar with), but such news should only be shared with consent.  I imagine you and most others would agree.  FWIW, were I a betting man, I'd wager Trey did indeed consent, and for the reasons you listed.  

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And he slashed 304/358/525 in 42 games after he came back, at age 35.  Even better next year 327/388/582 in 130 GP.    Has survived over 20 years after initial diagnosis.

I read on Twitter that he showed low iron in his blood during a physical and complained of extreme fatigue, so they sent him for a colonoscopy.  That led to them discovering the tumor.

Regardless, I'm glad they found it, hopefully they caught it early.  Hoping he is able to recover fully and live a normal, long, healthy life after treatment.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 24fps said:

It's every five years after you hit 50.  You're due.  

When I had my first one, they found some stuff, they cleaned it out And told me to come back in three years. I went back and I was clean, they said OK fine go back to the five year schedule so I need to go back in a couple of years I guess

4 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

All the best to Trey for a safe and speedy recovery. I am, however, surprised the Orioles would release the details of his situation.  Perhaps Trey gave the okay?  Again, and more importantly, I hope all goes well moving forward.

There's actually a couple of quotes from Trey Mancini in the tweet/statement. I'm going to guess that he's on board with his situation becoming known.

• Upvote 1

Nothing but love, healing prayers and support to Trey. A family favorite of ours  from the first time he put on the uniform. Though some know him as Boom Boom,  my wife, girls and I started calling him The Pink Panther early on due to the Mancini connection before that other name stuck. Hang in there. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

When I had my first one, they found some stuff, they cleaned it out And told me to come back in three years. I went back and I was clean, they said OK fine go back to the five year schedule so I need to go back in a couple of years I guess

Roughly my story as well.  The procedure is a breeze but the night before not so much and unfortunately that keeps people from taking it as seriously as they should.  

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Yep, exact same for me.  My 3 years comes up this October.