Mancini - Malignant Colon tumor successfully removed (Updated)

weams

9 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Its been a very hard time lately for sports fans, for America, the world at large... now this. We are all hopeful they were able to catch it early, Remember, both Boog and Eric Davis had it and they are both doing well today. Trey is as nice a young man as I've come across in baseball. He is an excellent talent, and a stellar human being. Heres hoping he gets to play again, but more importantly heres to getting well. We all love you, "Boom Boom:".

I didn't know that about Eric Davis and Boog, so that's good to hear. 

I only hope we can have fans in the seats when Trey's back because the ovation will be something to behold. 

And coincidentally, this is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month.

I admit in full ignorance that I used to believe that this was an old people's disease. But Trey's not that much older than I am, and of course I now know that this, like many cancers unfortunately, can strike almost any age. It's one of those diseases that one really needs to be on top of, since it can start out so asymptomatically. 

I can't help but believe he'll come all the way back from this and, in his typical steady, understated way, hit the field and not miss a beat. Can't wait. (Well, actually, I can, but you get what I mean.)

Trey was fortunate enough to be in a situation where physicals were routine and had health care professionals that recognized the problem. Most young people(and many older) don't believe routine physicals are important and don't or can't afford them because of no insurance. I lost two cousins at early ages (26,32) due to colon-rectal cancer. If detected earlier the results would likely have been different. My father had the disease too, hence I get a colonoscopy every 3 years. There is a HUGE genetic link. For all who are so uncomfortable about the procedure, it is no big deal.....the cleansing process is worse than the procedure. Here's hoping Trey has a complete recovery. Here is also a good time to educate the masses on the disease and the need to have routine exams despite one's age.

• Upvote 3

Man this news hits WAY too close to home. Last year my cousin went in for a routine colonoscopy (at 50) and found himself in surgery a week later. And he's just now wrapping up chemotherapy. Prior to the procedure he showed no symptoms. 

As I result I decided to get my first colonoscopy at age 45 (some insurance companies will cover it at that age). You can't be too cautious. Wishing Trey a speedy recovery and be sure to get checked folks. Annual physicals, colonoscopies after age 45 or 50, etc. are an absolute must. And the procedure wasn't as nearly as bad as I had imagined so don't let that deter you. I literally felt and remembered nothing. 

This concludes my public service announcement. 

• Upvote 4

I don’t have a family history of this type of cancer (and other factors of low risk for it), so my primary care physician (UNC Hospitals Healthcare system) gave me the option of the stool tests that I send to their testing lab. I do this every Fall. If they ever find something suspicious, they will then call me in for a colonoscopy and examination. The test is very simple and easily accomplished.  A good buddy of mine lost his wife (she was mid-50s) to this cancer about four years ago. Just about all of my close friends now have one test or the other now. The awareness has grown over the last decade and I’m convinced it’s saving lives. Wishing Trey all the best. Hoping that catching it early will be to his benefit. He will surely be under the watchful eye of his doctors for several years. 

2 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Trey was fortunate enough to be in a situation where physicals were routine and had health care professionals that recognized the problem. Most young people(and many older) don't believe routine physicals are important and don't or can't afford them because of no insurance. I lost two cousins at early ages (26,32) due to colon-rectal cancer. If detected earlier the results would likely have been different. My father had the disease too, hence I get a colonoscopy every 3 years. There is a HUGE genetic link. For all who are so uncomfortable about the procedure, it is no big deal.....the cleansing process is worse than the procedure. Here's hoping Trey has a complete recovery. Here is also a good time to educate the masses on the disease and the need to have routine exams despite one's age.

I’ve taken to renting a room in the closest hotel for the prep. Last time I stayed less than a block from the facility it made the experience much better.

From Roch:

Elias has spoken with Mancini’s family.

“I think we’re going to have a lot more information on Trey and the outlook and the timeline soon, and we will certainly provide all of that information once it becomes available and fully understood, but I can say that he’s doing really well,” Elias said. “I think his procedure and where he’s at right now is about as positive as possible of his spirits and his physical feeling right now, so we’ll keep our fingers crossed and take this as it comes. But he’s doing really well and the operation went very well.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/03/elias-our-plan-is-to-keep-our-players-and-staff-members-here.html

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I had a colonoscopy last week and they found a benign polyp which they removed on the spot, before it could change if left in. That its why colonoscopy is so important they can find the benign polyps, at home tests like the ones on TV  only find 42% of benign polyps. A colonoscopy is one of the best preventive measures that exists, so it shouldn't be put off. 

I'm in my 60's so my doctor recommended a colonoscopy but they would not recommend one at age 27 for Trey and I don't think insurance would even cover it.  However maybe the rules should change about that,.

Anyway I will say a prayer for Trey it just doesn't seem fair that he has to deal with this at his age. 

I pray for Trey the 27 year old young man and pull for a full recovery! I also pray for Trey, the best the Orioles have at this time, and hope for the same. In the total scheme of things, the first is so much more important!!!! Let's  use all the prayer and best wishes  we can to help support Trey and his family through this! 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Thanks for posting this, I didn't seen it until now. 

He looks good! Hope he is.

I know there are doctors on here. What is the usual course for him now? Is it just heal from surgery and move on? Chemotherapy? I don't know other possibilities.

This suspension of the season might work in his and the team's and all our favor. Of course his health and welfare is of utmost importance, but if he's ok now... it's scary to think of going into the season without him.

17 hours ago, scOtt said:

He looks good! Hope he is.

I know there are doctors on here. What is the usual course for him now? Is it just heal from surgery and move on? Chemotherapy? I don't know other possibilities.

This suspension of the season might work in his and the team's and all our favor. Of course his health and welfare is of utmost importance, but if he's ok now... it's scary to think of going into the season without him.

You specifically asked for a doctor's opinion--and I am not that. But I do (like others on the board) have significant experience with this through loved ones. 

It's hard to imagine any doctor recommendation at this point for Trey that does NOT include either chemo or radiation or both. And both are absolutely destructive to the human body. If either or both is what's next, it could be a serious while before Trey is back on a baseball field. He's a young man, in shape, otherwise healthy with the best doctors and trainers he could have, so there's always plenty of room for hope. My thoughts and prayers are with him, and that he recovers fully and is back in action soon.

• Thanks 1