Bowie vs. Akron 9-5-08

"Mickey" Manto

It does stink that Hafner is playing but perhaps someone can suggest another way for him to rehab to get back to the major league squad.

I would be totally fine with Hafner playing if it was the regular season. The fact that it's the playoffs, bothers me. It's like what the Mets do with their Brooklyn franchise when they stack it with reinforcements to get their team to the NYPL playoffs each season. I just think the playoff teams should be represented by AA players, not MLB All Stars.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hernandez gives up 6 runs in two innings of work and the Baysox currently trail 6-0 in the 4th inning.

Among the 6 runs Hernandez gave up is a grand slam by rehabbing Indians DH Travis Hafner. I have a problem with Hafner being allowed to participate in the playoffs while on a rehab assignment. This just stinks. This guy is an impact major league hitter facing AA pitchers (regardless of how good we all think Hernandez will be). If Hafner's back to being near full-health it gives Akron an advantage that doesn't seem right. In my opinion it should be 2-0 Akron, not 6-0...:angryfire::cussing:

Uff...I am glad I decided at the very last minute to go to the game tomorrow night so that I could see Tillman once this year, since I have already seen Hernandez twice.

Just...uff.

Elliot

Perhaps we should sign a bunch of AAAA retreads, assign them to AA and see if we can pull out a win...

If nothing else, perhaps they'll bump wins on pitchers, ensure better pitchers get sent to our prospect hitters and increase the trade value of all involved...

- FHAFNER

I would be totally fine with Hafner playing if it was the regular season. The fact that it's the playoffs, bothers me. It's like what the Mets do with their Brooklyn franchise when they stack it with reinforcements to get their team to the NYPL playoffs each season. I just think the playoff teams should be represented by AA players, not MLB All Stars.

I agree 100%. This was one of the most ridiculously petty things I've ever seen an organization do. You don't rehab a major leaguer in a minor league championship series. It's bush league.

I've got no problem with Haffner playing. We want to know if Hernandez can get big league hitters out. Haffner is a big league hitter.

He learned a lesson too. If the bases are loaded and a big league All-Star is up, it's OK to work around him and concede one run.

So no Erbe and Arrieta in the series at all?

Arrieta should get to start Game 5.

I'm pretty sure Arrieta isn't there at all.

Erbe is on the taxi squad. He can take the roster spot of a player if someone is injured or gets promoted. Otherwise, he can't pitch.

I'm pretty sure Arrieta isn't there at all.

Erbe is on the taxi squad. He can take the roster spot of a player if someone is injured or gets promoted. Otherwise, he can't pitch.

Ok so bigbird's info wasn't true

I was told by a member of the Keys that plans are to send Arrieta to Bowie for the Eastern League playoffs, once he returns.

I've got no problem with Haffner playing. We want to know if Hernandez can get big league hitters out. Haffner is a big league hitter.

He learned a lesson too. If the bases are loaded and a big league All-Star is up, it's OK to work around him and concede one run.

I gotta disagree here. We have the entire season for development. The playoffs is about winning fairly and bringing in major leaguers into a championship series is just wrong.

Archived