OOTP 2020 VIRTUAL ORIOLES SEASON

Tony-OH

11 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But about 50 times deeper, and almost infinite customization options.

Cool. But, the LaRussa game that I remember was played on a win 3.1 platform and took like 20 of those 3.5 disks to install.

So I would hope any game produced these days would be deeper.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

And if you really want some insight into the depths of my madness, I'm in the midst of a project to fix the ancient history of the Continental League.  When I discovered OOTP in 2000 I imported the CBL, but due to obscure technical reasons I couldn't bring in all the history.  When I go to the history tabs everything is complete from 2000-on, but pre-1999 is kind of a mess.  I'm trying to import hundreds upon hundreds of old players so that they appear in team histories and leaderboards using text/spreadsheet imports/exports.  It'll probably take many, many work-days to complete.  All for a league that never really existed except in my head.

Perfect for a lazy corona virus telework month.

Good Lord, and I thought I was anal about league's history! :D

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Cool. But, the LaRussa game that I remember was played on a win 3.1 platform and took like 20 of those 3.5 disks to install.

So I would hope any game produced these days would be deeper.

Tony Larussa baseball on Commodore 64 was the first game with graphics that kept stats. Man I played enough of that game to wear out the floppy disk it was on! i also used to play a game called Lance Haffner baseball. He also made football and basketball sims that kept stats though they were text based. Played a ton of that as well.

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Tony Larussa baseball on Commodore 64 was the first game with graphics that kept stats. Man I played enough of that game to wear out the floppy disk it was on! i also used to play a game called Lance Haffner baseball. He also made football and basketball sims that kept stats though they were text based. Played a ton of that as well.

My memories of my commodore 64 was a small cassette tape loading the system, much like the Radio Shack Tandy.

Some silly spy game that the dude went through the different hotel floors. lol

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I played all of the Lance Haffner games as well, but baseball was the best.  The first season I had was the 1989 version, so it was fun to play with the "Why Not?" O's.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Good Lord, and I thought I was anal about league's history! :D

When you've been running a fictional league for 33 years it has to be right!  Literally I have players in my league I've "known" much longer than my wife and kids!  There's a guy named Klondike Sherman who started off on my team in '89, retired as a player in 2002, then managed my AA team for four years from 2011-14.  I'm going to try to hire him back at some point because he's just a cool dude. 

Yes, I realize he never existed.  :)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I could not love this idea more.  I grew up playing APBA Major League Baseball board game.  My Dad Xerox'd about a million score sheets for me so I could keep track of each games stats.  I would play full 162 game seasons with the Orioles following the real 1974 schedule (I later got an updated card set - but I knew the  74 season like the back of my hand).  Might be a good time to upgrade to the modern equivalent in OOTP baseball while I'm stuck indoors.  :-). Looking forward to following this virtual season!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I could not love this idea more.  I grew up playing APBA Major League Baseball board game.  My Dad Xerox'd about a million score sheets for me so I could keep track of each games stats.  I would play full 162 game seasons with the Orioles following the real 1974 schedule (I later got an updated card set - but I knew the  74 season like the back of my hand).  Might be a good time to upgrade to the modern equivalent in OOTP baseball while I'm stuck indoors.  :-). Looking forward to following this virtual season!

thru facebook i found APBA go....you can play for free (with teams from last years WS) and buy teams to use for $3 each....i have 74 and 83 Os....i've got hours of fun for six bucks....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I was a big APBA guy.    Managed to play 64 games of the 1969 season for the entire AL one summer when all my friends seemed to be away.     I remember almost all the stats were very close to reality but for some reason Reggie Smith had about 25 homers after 64 games.   (In reality, he hit 25 homers over the full season.)   I think his card was on steroids!    Actually, there was nothing on his card that would lead to that kind of result, the dice just kept rolling in his favor.    

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2020 at 3:17 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

When you've been running a fictional league for 33 years it has to be right!  Literally I have players in my league I've "known" much longer than my wife and kids!  There's a guy named Klondike Sherman who started off on my team in '89, retired as a player in 2002, then managed my AA team for four years from 2011-14.  I'm going to try to hire him back at some point because he's just a cool dude. 

Yes, I realize he never existed.  :)

So, it's Matrix Baseball and you are "the one"...

• Upvote 1