fansince1988

Tomorrow night, "Ripken and Berman will celebrate the game with the ESPN launch of BBTN Live (Baseball Tonight Live), a weekly digital pregame show that will air classic baseball games called MLB Encore Tuesdays. Ripken and Berman will discuss their memories before the game, and Ripken again in the fifth inning on ESPN’s social media platforms. The game will re-air on ESPN at 7 p.m. ET."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/04/06/cal-ripken-jr-espn-2131-lou-gehrig/2953978001/

• Upvote 1

lol - I remember seeing and speaking to Berman in the VIP/autograph line before the game.  

Being at that game was surreal.  I grew up with sports-themed wallpaper in my room and, on the drive home after the game, felt like those figures came to life that night.  Magical.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ugh, Berman.

When I was a teenager the standard issue TV/radio announcer was a kind of straight-laced middle-aged guy who soberly described the action.  Some a little more character or personality, one or two were Chuck Thompson, but that was the model.  So when you first heard John Madden or Chris Berman or Dick Vitale it was pretty cool.  These guys got into it!  They were different and interesting and came up with nicknames and catch phrases.

Now that I'm 48 I think all of them are more annoying than anything else.  Will you please... just... stop... yelling.  It's the bottom of the 4th, it's May, it's a grounder to short, that's okay, it really doesn't have to be the best thing ever.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When I was a teenager the standard issue TV/radio announcer was a kind of straight-laced middle-aged guy who soberly described the action.

Who wants that when you can have Gary Thorne

responsibly.

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When I was a teenager the standard issue TV/radio announcer was a kind of straight-laced middle-aged guy who soberly described the action.  Some a little more character or personality, one or two were Chuck Thompson, but that was the model.  So when you first heard John Madden or Chris Berman or Dick Vitale it was pretty cool.  These guys got into it!  They were different and interesting and came up with nicknames and catch phrases.

Now that I'm 48 I think all of them are more annoying than anything else.  Will you please... just... stop... yelling.  It's the bottom of the 4th, it's May, it's a grounder to short, that's okay, it really doesn't have to be the best thing ever.

I think those guys were around for a long time. Phil Rizzuto comes immediately to mind, and I'll bet there were at least a dozen more in the '60s and early '70s. In Philadelphia, we had Les Keiter announcing college basketball in the '60s (all the Palestra games, 4-5 a week), and he fit that mold. But those guys were local, beloved (or at least tolerated) by the fan base.  

The first national broadcaster I can remember who exemplified the new model was Don Meredith on Monday night football. Maybe it's my age, but I never thought the new breed was cool. At best, they lose track of the fact that it's about the game, not about them. At worst, they let their self-promotion get in the way of being useful broadcasters. My least favorite of this type, because he does both, in every game he announces, is Bill Raftery. The guy knows a ton about basketball, but you rarely hear any of it because he's focused on opportunities to inject one of his well-worn and uninformative catch phrases.

This is slightly off topic, but watching this game reminded me.  My dad and I (well him) caught Brady's home run during 2130.  We still have it.  It's probably worth more to him than me, but I don't know what to do with it.  Anyone have thoughts?  Or maybe @Tony-OH or @weams or someone else may know how to get in contact with Brady.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

This is slightly off topic, but watching this game reminded me.  My dad and I (well him) caught Brady's home run during 2130.  We still have it.  It's probably worth more to him than me, but I don't know what to do with it.  Anyone have thoughts?  Or maybe @Tony-OH or @weams or someone else may know how to get in contact with Brady.

Nope sorry, I don't have any contact info for Brady.

13 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I think those guys were around for a long time. Phil Rizzuto comes immediately to mind, and I'll bet there were at least a dozen more in the '60s and early '70s. In Philadelphia, we had Les Keiter announcing college basketball in the '60s (all the Palestra games, 4-5 a week), and he fit that mold. But those guys were local, beloved (or at least tolerated) by the fan base.  

The first national broadcaster I can remember who exemplified the new model was Don Meredith on Monday night football. Maybe it's my age, but I never thought the new breed was cool. At best, they lose track of the fact that it's about the game, not about them. At worst, they let their self-promotion get in the way of being useful broadcasters. My least favorite of this type, because he does both, in every game he announces, is Bill Raftery. The guy knows a ton about basketball, but you rarely hear any of it because he's focused on opportunities to inject one of his well-worn and uninformative catch phrases.

Didn't Brent Musberger try to transform himself from straight-laced announcer to catch phrase guy at about the age of 65 or 70?  That went poorly.