Steve Pearce Announces Retirement

Can_of_corn

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Excuse me?

I put more value in a catch and throw guy in the minors than I do adding a piece of damaged property because the manager likes him.

This is the old SportsGuy argument, that process is everything, even when the players involved are of little or no consequence.  Heads should be put on pikes for a trade of a 22-year-old org guy for mediocre major leaguer.

I guess it is literally true that a dime is way more valuable than a nickle.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

This is the old SportsGuy argument, that process is everything, even when the players involved are of little or no consequence.  Heads should be put on pikes for a trade of a 22-year-old org guy for mediocre major leaguer.

I guess it is literally true that a dime is way more valuable than a nickle.

I think that a good catch and throw guy in the minors is useful for the development of pitchers.

I'm also not in favor of throwing money away (Pearce's salary in 2016)

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that a good catch and throw guy in the minors is useful for the development of pitchers.

I'm also not in favor of throwing money away (Pearce's salary in 2016)

I don't like throwing away moderate amounts of Ol' Pete's money, and I'm not a huge fan of ranch dressing or Samantha Bee, either.  But I'm not launching any crusades about any of that.  I have a threshold below which I have a hard time caring, or leveling charges of irreconcilable stupidity.  I didn't get banned when they traded for Dana Eveland.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't like throwing away moderate amounts of Ol' Pete's money, and I'm not a huge fan of ranch dressing or Samantha Bee, either.  But I'm not launching any crusades about any of that.  I have a threshold below which I have a hard time caring, or leveling charges of irreconcilable stupidity.  I didn't get banned when they traded for Dana Eveland.

For a laugh, Google Joey Diaz Ranch Dressing.  NSFW due to language (which is good cause you're not at work).

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Neither did I, but it was still a bad move and I said as much.

It is astounding though...reading through the details of his journeyman career, multiple DFAs, free agent, minor league deals, traded for limited prospects, etc....then, at the end of this journey...he must have made some kind of Damn Yankees deal with the devil...now, for the rest of his life, he will be the guy, only Red Sox with Yaz, who hit 3 homers in the World Series, the only guy other than Babe Ruth and Ted Kluzewski older than 35 to do so....he will be a retired legend in New England for the rest of his life. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/14/2020 at 5:27 PM, Moose Milligan said:

He'll be remembered for what he did in Boston.

But he had his best season in Baltimore, which paved the way for what he was able to do in Boston.  He was a good, hard nosed player who maxed out his abilities.  

I hope he gets to wear an O's cap on his HOF bust, but you're probably right. It's more likely to be a Boston cap. Does the AL East have a logo? That'd be a perfect fit. ?