Hoyt Wilhelm Video

Can_of_corn

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

From his days in Cleveland.  First off an interview then you get to see him pitch, then some more interview.

Looks like he threw a tumbler kind of like Tim Wakefield as opposed to the little spin on a Tom Candiotti knuckleball.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:57 PM, OsEatAlEast said:

Looks like he threw a tumbler kind of like Tim Wakefield as opposed to the little spin on a Tom Candiotti knuckleball.

I thought all knuckleballs were of the no-spin variety.  I was under the impression that a knuckler that spun is called a home run.

Wilhelm had one of those eternal careers I'm fascinated with.  He broke in playing Class D ball in 1942, missed three years with the war, spent six more years in the minors, debut at 29, and kept playing until 1972.  Aren't too many players whose careers legitimately spanned 30 years.  A few who made cameos in their late 40s or early 50s, but with the exception of the war Wilhelm was playing regularly for 30 years.

48 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I thought all knuckleballs were of the no-spin variety.  I was under the impression that a knuckler that spun is called a home run.

Not completely sure myself. I've seen guys throw knuckleballs that had good life that weren't the textbook definition of the catcher receiving it in the same position the pitcher threw it. Just have to keep the tumble and velocity slow enough to have air and humidity have a fair effect on it.