How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

The Tampa Bay Times reports that staff has informed by principal owners Stuart Sternberg and team presidents Matt Silverman and Brian Auld that a number of full-time employees will be furloughed effective this Saturday. The Times reported the furloughs are believed to involve less than half the club’s 400-to-500 full-time employees. They are temporary layoffs, not job eliminations. How long the furloughs are, however, depends on job function and could be lengthy:

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/04/30/rays-the-first-team-to-furlough-employees/

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The Tampa Bay Times reports that staff has informed by principal owners Stuart Sternberg and team presidents Matt Silverman and Brian Auld that a number of full-time employees will be furloughed effective this Saturday. The Times reported the furloughs are believed to involve less than half the club’s 400-to-500 full-time employees. They are temporary layoffs, not job eliminations. How long the furloughs are, however, depends on job function and could be lengthy:

I bet that if the State would build them a new stadium and let them move to Tampa that they....would do this anyway.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I bet that if the State would build them a new stadium and let them move to Tampa that they....would do this anyway.

I can not speak as an informed source.

Perception to me, they have one of the richest owners in MLB, and its almost like he runs the team on a shoestring budget, never keeping home grown talent and rewarding them, but replacing them with younger and cheaper ones.

Yes, their attendance sucks.

Yes, their stadium sucks.

I suspect they would have problems in a new stadium and $5 tickets,

22 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I can not speak as an informed source.

Perception to me, they have one of the richest owners in MLB, and its almost like he runs the team on a shoestring budget, never keeping home grown talent and rewarding them, but replacing them with younger and cheaper ones.

Yes, their attendance sucks.

Yes, their stadium sucks.

I suspect they would have problems in a new stadium and $5 tickets,

I don't know who he convinced himself they would ever let him out of that lease.

I think it is a couple of things with him.  On one hand I do think he views the Rays as an investment first and expects a ROI that keeps payroll low.  I also think it is part of the game he is playing with the City.  He's trying to make it seem like the reason he can't spend money is because of the stadium.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know who he convinced himself they would ever let him out of that lease.

I think it is a couple of things with him.  On one hand I do think he views the Rays as an investment first and expects a ROI that keeps payroll low.  I also think it is part of the game he is playing with the City.  He's trying to make it seem like the reason he can't spend money is because of the stadium.

they might only be in #28 spot on the list of MLB teams, but they appear to be making money hand over foot.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/tampa-bay-rays/#492ff4165d12

They had a winning record and made less money than the Orioles did at the gate.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

they might only be in #28 spot on the list of MLB teams, but they appear to be making money hand over foot.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/tampa-bay-rays/#492ff4165d12

They had a winning record and made less money than the Orioles did at the gate.

Rough gig owning a baseball team.  He bought it in 2004 for 200M and now it's estimated to be worth over a billion.  I wonder how much he's profit he's pulled out of it over the years? 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rough gig owning a baseball team.  He bought it in 2004 for 200M and now it's estimated to be worth over a billion.  I wonder how much he's profit he's pulled out of it over the years? 

I suspect his net worth of 800 million was enhanced by money made off the team. I cant find out what his net worth was in 2004.

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Whats worse for these employees is I read that it is almost impossible to apply for unemployment benefits in Florida. 

Also to Can of Corn on why Florida doesn't have worse Covid outcome. Theory is that vitamin D deficiencies make covid worse.  Something people in Florida should not have. Everyone in the Northeast should be taking Vitamin D supplements. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Whats worse for these employees is I read that it is almost impossible to apply for unemployment benefits in Florida. 

It's understandable that the system would crash under such a sudden increase in usage.  However it is a travesty that the problem has persisted this long.  It should have been an immediate priority.

47 minutes ago, atomic said:

Also to Can of Corn on why Florida doesn't have worse Covid outcome. Theory is that vitamin D deficiencies make covid worse.  Something people in Florida should not have. Everyone in the Northeast should be taking Vitamin D supplements. 

Taking Vitamin D is a good idea even when not in this COVID-19 environment. I read the same, but then I read about what is going on in Ecuador, I pause to make the connection.  There is so much about this virus that we don’t know, and won’t know, until we get more data.  For example, when this broke out, there was a great fear for asthmatics (I’m one).   Then the NYT reports (mid April) that only 5% of NY’s COVID’s fatal cases had asthma.

I actually don’t like to spend time thinking about when (or if) baseball might resume. Frankly, I don’t want to get my hopes up and then have them quashed.     I’m just trying to fill my free time with other things I enjoy.     When baseball returns, it’ll be a blessing that I wasn’t counting on.   

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2020 at 12:46 PM, Going Underground said:

Of course if remdesivir shows the promise it showed in a non CDT then we could have a treatment for most people.We shall see.Need a CDT to see if it works. 

Looks like remdesivir is a good treatment for people who are bad enough to get hospitalized, and may cut the mortality rate by 30%.

It's not a magic bullet or a cure-all.   But it's very encouraging, at any rate.