Owners submit new economic plan to union : UPDATED

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

It's probably safe to assume that a MLB facility would be one of the safer places to go back to work, anywhere - just because they have the resources to make sure it is safe. The players aren't going to win this PR campaign because your average Joe is working in far less safe conditions for far less money just to survive. There isn't going to be a lot of sympathy from the general public.

I think players should absolutely be given the choice not to play if they don't want, though. I could totally understand why guys like Jon Lester or Anthony Rizzo would want to play it safe after cancer battles.

Sure.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I see the line about them risking their health and I can't help but think that they will be taken care of to the extent that the guy bagging their groceries is putting themselves more at risk.  They are going to have private transportation, private hotel rooms, on demand testing.  I don't think they are going to be at much of an increased risk.

Agreed.

I also don't believe for a second that they're really THAT worried about their health and their families, especially when a lot of these guys have a side piece or 3 on the road. They're worried about their money.  And as big of a douche as Snell is, at least he's saying what they're all thinking.  

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed.

I also don't believe for a second that they're really THAT worried about their health and their families, especially when a lot of these guys have a side piece or 3 on the road. They're worried about their money.  And as big of a douche as Snell is, at least he's saying what they're all thinking.  

That is all most of the established players care about really. Let's be honest, like most of this, this is all about money, power and control.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That is all most of the established players care about really. Let's be honest, like most of this, this is all about money, power and control.

I think regardless of the sport, you got the pricks,  the really great guys, and then you got some that are kinda of nice, but can be a prick at times.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, atomic said:

I have totally changed my opinion about the situation. I think baseball will be played.  The players need to play. If they don't play they won't get anything in free agency.  As the leagues revenues will be down to a point where they can't support the big contracts.  

The owners need to play.  Football will start up in September.  They will lose more fans to other sports if they don't start up and everything else is back to normal.  

It is in both their interests to start back up.   

I will also admit I was wrong about the disease. It isn't anywhere near as deadly as the experts were saying.  

Nice job @atomic, not kidding.  I did also think it was worse in the beginning, but have been backing off that for quite a while. 

For baseball, this really sucks (Snell, Bauer, etc...), I am hoping they do play, but I feel like the last time the players union and the owners were this far apart, it took Cal Ripken playing every game ever to bring baseball back form a strike.

• Upvote 2

Let's make it easy, any guy who doesn't want to play for "safety reasons", gets the major league minimum and and can stay home. The minor leaguer that takes his place will be happy to have the major league minimum as well. 

Maybe we'll see guys try harder too, sorta like a replacement player thing. Honestly, since the minor leaguers aren't in the union, I say they just fill their teams up with the minor leaguers that want to play and play with that. The non 40-man roster Orioles team might be interesting to watch play this year.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Let's make it easy, any guy who doesn't want to play for "safety reasons", gets the major league minimum and and can stay home. The minor leaguer that takes his place will be happy to have the major league minimum as well. 

Maybe we'll see guys try harder too, sorta like a replacement player thing. Honestly, since the minor leaguers aren't in the union, I say they just fill their teams up with the minor leaguers that want to play and play with that. The non 40-man roster Orioles team might be interesting to watch play this year.

I was thinking unpaid LOA.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, murph said:

Nice job @atomic, not kidding.  I did also think it was worse in the beginning, but have been backing off that for quite a while. 

For baseball, this really sucks (Snell, Bauer, etc...), I am hoping they do play, but I feel like the last time the players union and the owners were this far apart, it took Cal Ripken playing every game ever to bring baseball back form a strike.

I'm starting to hear from more and more people who are doing their own education and looking at the true numbers themselves, and then realizing what's being spread by local government officials and the media is not half as bad as being presented. 

I don't hold it against anyone or play the "i told you so game" because honestly, it does no good for anyone. So much negative information was inundated that it's easy to see why people thought the black plague was upon us. Some still do, but little by little, as the goalposts consistently keep being moved to reopen up, people are realizing the truth.

From a baseball perspective, even if it's fanless games, I think it would do wonders for our country to have some semblance of normalcy. Even if said games are played by minor leaguers and non Union players.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was thinking unpaid LOA.

I would prefer that personally, but MLB makes enough money, that they can afford to pay the guys major league minimum to sit at home, especially since their replacement would be getting major league minimum as well.

Nah.  You don't want to play,  that's fine.   But then you don't get paid nor do you get any service time.   Paying them anything,  even league minimum, is silly if they are refusing to do their job.   I realize there are safely concerns. But I know of no one else who is refusing to work yet if still getting paid by their employer, provided it's possible to work.  Ball players shouldn't be an exception. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Walmart gave hourly employees a $300 dollar bonus for working through the Pandemic.  I think MLB can follow suit.

11 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think I read, they were going to give them a second bonus check.

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is the word.  Of course the part time workers only get half (half of Walmart's hourly workers are part time).

That’s true. However, it is pre tax, so we don’t even really notice it too much. Other places got a pay raise between $1-$3 an hour, which would have been a lot better, longer term. But, money is money.

For our store at least, the large majority who are part time choose to be part time because they have either another job (and do this just for extra money), are students, or retired and just doing this for fun. Only a handful came in as part time that didn’t want to be part time.

Anyway, back to Snell. I understand his point, if the fact that the owners and MLBPA had an agreement and the owners are now trying to change things, but the whole “oh, I won’t play for less” comes as such a horrible take. He makes close to 1.4 million a month during the season. That is 1.35 million more than the average person makes in a YEAR. What has Snell done during this pandemic? Worked in a hospital, ambulance crew, grocery store worker, delivery driver, or other “essential employee” that literally has the chance to contract this virus at any given moment on their job, almost exclusively for less per hour than a beer at a game?

Eff outta here.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Here are some comments from Blake Snell of the Rays.  If other players have this attitude you can wrap up the season and start the death of baseball .

Y'all gotta understand, man, for me to go -- for me to take a pay cut is not happening, because the risk is through the roof," Snell said while answering questions on his Twitch channel. "It's a shorter season, less pay.

"No, I gotta get my money. I'm not playing unless I get mine, OK? And that's just the way it is for me. Like, I'm sorry you guys think differently, but the risk is way the hell higher and the amount of money I'm making is way lower. Why would I think about doing that?"

I'd guess the MLBPA would get him and like-minded players in lockstep fairly quickly if they can iron out a deal with the owners.

Besides - perhaps this is too simplistic - they could just take away/not award service time if players opt to sit out. Snell might be just fine money-wise, but no way he'd cede a year towards a potential new deal.

11 hours ago, atomic said:

I have totally changed my opinion about the situation. I think baseball will be played.  The players need to play. If they don't play they won't get anything in free agency.  As the leagues revenues will be down to a point where they can't support the big contracts.  

The owners need to play.  Football will start up in September.  They will lose more fans to other sports if they don't start up and everything else is back to normal.  

It is in both their interests to start back up.   

I will also admit I was wrong about the disease. It isn't anywhere near as deadly as the experts were saying.  

I agree with your post up to the last two sentences.  I think the disease will prove to be far deadlier than it currently appears it will be.  We won't know until this time next year and I certainly hope you're right.  Nice gesture tho...

I look forward to seeing some baseball even in a highly compromised form.