Where is MacPhail headed this off season?

wildcard

Bingo!!!!! Yes he was rushed and it is what the O's have done for years. A pitcher that has bad mechanics and can't even repeat the bad mechanics is not ready for any role in the big leagues. I think AM is trying to change this but the proof will not be seen until the guys at AA get to the bigs.

On another note you alway harp on maximizing value but moving a guy with Liz's stuff to the pen is not consistant with that. I agree that at his age he likely will never be a successfull ML SP long term but there is no rush to make the move yet IMO. Barring FA signings Liz is a SP to start next season IMO. When the younger guys push him out is when the move to the Pen will happen.

Then Liz NEVER would have made the majors.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, there's no sense in arguing about this. We will just wait and see what happens with Tex and you will either be proven right or wrong.

But second, I'm wondering what information you have that makes you think PA wants Tex so badly. Is this just old info from your job years ago in the Warehouse, or have you actually heard something more recently that makes you believe this?

It's just my opinion, but I will be absolutely shocked if Tex is an Oriole. In fact, I'll be pretty shocked if we aren't out of the bidding very early on. We might meet with Boras and put in a bid, but we won't be within $25 mm of what Tex signs for in terms of a total package. Like I said, just my opinion.

Outside of what I know, what we have heard on here and what we have heard nationally, common sense tells you PA will want Tex here badly.

I'm wondering what information you have that makes you think PA wants Tex so badly. Is this just old info from your job years ago in the Warehouse, or have you actually heard something more recently that makes you believe this?
Outside of what I know, what we have heard on here and what we have heard nationally, common sense tells you PA will want Tex here badly.

I take this as either a non-answer, or an admission that you really don't have any basis for knowing what PA thinks about this.

And I don't doubt that PA has some interest in Tex. But when you toss around statements like "it is very obvious you don't understand how badly PA wants Tex," you should have more of a basis than "common sense" for making that remark.

I take this as either a non-answer, or an admission that you really don't have any basis for knowing what PA thinks about this.

And I don't doubt that PA has some interest in Tex. But when you toss around statements like "it is very obvious you don't understand how badly PA wants Tex," you should have more of a basis than "common sense" for making that remark.

Without being explicit about it, I think SG is hinting that he does have inside info regarding PA's interest in Tex, but that even without these hints, it should be obvious based on other information that PA has interest in Tex.

Without being explicit about it, I think SG is hinting that he does have inside info regarding PA's interest in Tex, but that even without these hints, it should be obvious based on other information that PA has interest in Tex.
There's a huge difference between having interest in Tex and being willing to pay $200 mm to land him. I think your right that SG is hinting that he has special knowledge, I just don't believe he does. He's never exhibited it before.:laughlol:

No I shouldn't...it has been very obvious for years that Tex has been on PAs radar.

We know that PA likes the idea of him being from this area...he thinks that is a big time draw.

We know PA wants to sell tickets.

We know PA realizes what Cal, another hometown guy, did for this team and that he views Tex as potentially having similar hometown appeal.

Now, MAYBE AM has convinced PA that we can't spend this money...Who knows(and lets hope not because if that's the atttitude, this organization is doomed).

However, i have very little doubt that Angelos wants to see us win before he gets rid of the team or dies and getting Tex would be a good start.

Just to be clear, I don't have any NEW inside info.

Just wanted that out there so that I didn't confuse people.

But let's not forget what Tony said around the draft about the Orioles making a big push for Tex.

Well, I asked him that question directly, and he didn't answer it. But again, the issue isn't whether PA "has interest in Tex." The issue is whether he's willing to authorize offers that will be competitive with what Boras will extract from NY and LA (or any other interested parties). SG has implied that there is, in essence, a "Tex exception" to the typical restraints the O's have had when pursuing other quality players. I will believe that when I see it.

Edit: SG has now clarified what he meant, for which I thank him. I still feel that if we pursue Tex at all, the result will be no different than Guerrero/Delgado/Konerko.

No I shouldn't...it has been very obvious for years that Tex has been on PAs radar.

We know that PA likes the idea of him being from this area...he thinks that is a big time draw.

We know PA wants to sell tickets.

We know PA realizes what Cal, another hometown guy, did for this team and that he views Tex as potentially having similar hometown appeal.

As has been said, it is common sense that Angelos would be interested. The question is where is the line - at what $ amount does the price override Angelos liking the idea of him being from the area, the desire to sell more tickets, and the realization of what a hometown guy did for the franchise. I can't imagine that there isn't an amount where Angelos thinks that for everything he brings to the table that the price is too high. The question is, what is that $ amount.

Now, MAYBE AM has convinced PA that we can't spend this money...Who knows(and lets hope not because if that's the atttitude, this organization is doomed).

If the price gets anywhere near what Boras would like it to be the exact opposite is true. If PA orders AM to make moves that are based on anything other than what AM thinks is the best way to build a winner then it would be accurate to say this organization is doomed.

As has been said, it is common sense that Angelos would be interested. The question is where is the line - at what $ amount does the price override Angelos liking the idea of him being from the area, the desire to sell more tickets, and the realization of what a hometown guy did for the franchise. I can't imagine that there isn't an amount where Angelos thinks that for everything he brings to the table that the price is too high. The question is, what is that $ amount.

If the price gets anywhere near what Boras would like it to be the exact opposite is true. If PA orders AM to make moves that are based on anything other than what AM thinks is the best way to build a winner then it would be accurate to say this organization is doomed.

Tex will get closer to 100 million than 200 million unless he absolutely goes crazy in postseason.

And let's say we get him for 6/120....The increase in ticket sales, even if it just for one year, will probably knock that down 5-10 million.

Either way, i think you are greatly overreacting to the money here and you are acting too scared of Boras.

Well, I asked him that question directly, and he didn't answer it. But again, the issue isn't whether PA "has interest in Tex." The issue is whether he's willing to authorize offers that will be competitive with what Boras will extract from NY and LA (or any other interested parties). SG has implied that there is, in essence, a "Tex exception" to the typical restraints the O's have had when pursuing other quality players. I will believe that when I see it.

Edit: SG has now clarified what he meant, for which I thank him. I still feel that if we pursue Tex at all, the result will be no different than Guerrero/Delgado/Konerko.

Wanna bet on that?

With Konerko and Vlad, we put the most money on the table...If we do that for Tex, we get him.

Based on the interview MacPhail gave before the game tonight I think his priorities are pitching and a SS. He seemed pleased with the offense and I don't think he is inclined to put 20-22 million in one basket. No matter who it is.

I think that this is far more realistic than 130m for tex.

Archived