Wes Unseld dead at 74

Redskins Rick

One of the best rebounder/fast break starters I have ever seen.   Grab the rebound and snap a throw down court to Earl Monroe, Kevin Loughery or Jack Marin on the run.   It seemed almost like one motion for him.   And a great individual to boot.  RIP Wes.

• Thanks 1

A truly unique player and quiet bull of a teammate. I loved how he outplayed much taller, longer-limbed centers--couldn't figure out he did it. He and Earl Monroe were such different types of players and personalities, but "Unseld with the rebound, long pass down-court to the Pearl!" was the perfect pairing. As archetypal in my youthful memory as a home run by Frank or Boog, Brooks at third, or, a few years later, Bert Jones to Roger Carr.

RIP, Wes!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to listen to all the Baltimore Bullet games in 1968-69, how many times did I hear "Rebound Unseld, off to Monroe (or Loughery).  His full court chest passes were unbelievable.  That was such an exciting team and the seven game playoff wars they had with the Knicks (Willis Reed, Dave. DeBusschere and Bill Bradley) were unbelievable to watch.  

Wes Unseld visited my school Johnnycake Junior High school during the '68-'69 season and talked about what he thought was important in life.  I recall he said how much he admired his father above everyone else. 

He was a class act, RIP Wes,.  It was a joy to watch you play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

I used to listen to all the Baltimore Bullet games in 1968-69, how many times did I hear "Rebound Unseld, off to Monroe (or Loughery).  His full court chest passes were unbelievable.  That was such an exciting team and the seven game playoff wars they had with the Knicks (Willis Reed, Dave. DeBusschere and Bill Bradley) were unbelievable to watch.  

Wes Unseld visited my school Johnnycake Junior High school during the '68-'69 season and talked about what he thought was important in life.  I recall he said how much he admired his father above everyone else. 

That was a special team, when they won the championship in 78. 

3 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

You forgot the greatest Knick of them all Walt Frazier.