Where do Kjerstad/Westburg fit on the 2023/24 team

wildcard

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just because it failed in this one instance doesn't mean the approach won't work in other situations.  Astros had good luck with it. 

It isn't something I would do much, if at all, but it can work.

Not to mention that there’s plenty of examples of the first overall “BPA” pick not working out for the drafting team

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Not to mention that there’s plenty of examples of the first overall “BPA” pick not working out for the drafting team

Go out and look at % of players by round that become all stars at the MLB level. That number decreases by round and drops off the table. Going with a long shot in round 1 in order to draft a guy in the later rounds where the success rate is much smaller doesn’t make sense. I’m not saying it doesn’t work. Just that the percentages are low.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day but it seems like time is standing still for you.

Try actually adding something to the conversation beyond your silly insults.

Offer any factual data that might prove otherwise.....those things are better than just being a butt-hole

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Going with a long shot in round 1 in order to draft a guy in the later rounds where the success rate is much smaller doesn’t make sense. I’m not saying it doesn’t work. Just that the percentages are low.

Kjerstad wasn't a long shot. Martin was thought to be the top guy following the 2019 draft. His stock stayed flat. Kjerstad's stock improved over the course of last summer and in the beginning of the college season. Who knows who the consensus guy would have been had the college season played out.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Kjerstad wasn't a long shot. Martin was thought to be the top guy following the 2019 draft. His stock stayed flat. Kjerstad's stock improved over the course of last summer and in the beginning of the college season. Who knows who the consensus guy would have been had the college season played out.

Kjerstad made is way up to the 10th ranked player on most of the scouting boards. Show me just one that had him ranked 2nd. He was definitely a reach at #2

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Kjerstad made is way up to the 10th ranked player on most of the scouting boards. Show me just one that had him ranked 2nd. He was definitely a reach at #2

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2020-mlb-draft/summary?sort=-1,1&type=0&team=

He was 7th on fangraphs, in the same 50 fv tier as everyone in the top 7 but Torkelson.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The player I would have picked instead of Hobgood.

Hobgood was the 2009 draft. The Sun had the Orioles rumored to be deciding between Wheeler and Ackley. Had they taken Wheeler who they gifted to the Giants he and his 3-77 would be a rotation anchor. If the chose Ackley hw would’ve given them 7.7 war of MLB production. Instead they went cheap and we all know the outcome.

5 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2020-mlb-draft/summary?sort=-1,1&type=0&team=

He was 7th on fangraphs, in the same 50 fv tier as everyone in the top 7 but Torkelson.

7th isn’t 2nd! That’s my point so I appreciate your assistance. There were at least 6 better rated prospects including Martin. The only one they couldn’t get is Torkelson 

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I really don't care about what the scouting boards say. They are made in an echo chamber and with attachment to the ranking that was used in the previous ranking release (similar to college football and basketball rankings). They are not non-biased evaluations of the current performance and future projection.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Hobgood was the 2009 draft. The Sun had the Orioles rumored to be deciding between Wheeler and Ackley. Had they taken Wheeler who they gifted to the Giants he and his 3-77 would be a rotation anchor. If the chose Ackley hw would’ve given them 7.7 war of MLB production. Instead they went cheap and we all know the outcome.

Oh right, sorry I'm distracted.  I liked Matzek in 2009.  He was who I was talking about before.  Got myself twisted up a bit.