Early 2021 Top Draft Prospects

Leiter done after 7 mostly dominant innings.   I learned when Ben highlighted how this is by far most innings he's ever pitched that he's a draft eligible sophomore.   His entire NCAA experience before this year's run was 15 IP last February/March, so fair chance I suppose he goes into bubble wrap after draft.   B-Ref has him at 15 GS/89.0 IP before the 7 more today, so in his Age-21 season he's basically at 100 before Omaha (Vandy up 1 entering 9th inning going for the sweep).

In broadcast had the anecdote Al mostly didn't want him to pitch as a kid and steered him toward 3B, which he played lots of in high school.   But pitching talent proved out.    And his 9-years-older cousin Mark Leiter, Jr also made the Show like dad and his uncle.

• Upvote 2

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft

I noticed in the latest mlb.com rankings that Watson has moved up to #4 and Davis down to #5. My preference is still Davis, but Watson is really starting to grow on me. I hear he’s showing great power and has moved way ahead of House. I would be happy with either of those two or a falling prospect like Meyer or Lawlar. I feel we are in a good spot at 5 to get a good player. 

5 hours ago, osravensfan78 said:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft

I noticed in the latest mlb.com rankings that Watson has moved up to #4 and Davis down to #5. My preference is still Davis, but Watson is really starting to grow on me. I hear he’s showing great power and has moved way ahead of House. I would be happy with either of those two or a falling prospect like Meyer or Lawlar. I feel we are in a good spot at 5 to get a good player. 

Agree things seem to be shaking out decently for us. I just watched some video on Harry Ford and he actually looks like a monster. If he ends up being the pick, I won’t be upset, in fact I think I’d be excited. The swing and bat speed are legit, and he has an extremely athletic build. 

• Like 1

MLB.com's "Draft Top 250: Top Tools"

Top tools in 2021 MLB Draft

"Best power: Brady House, SS, Winder-Barrow HS (Winder, Ga.)
House is built to hit for power from the right side of the plate and could be a more athletic version of Joey Gallo. He's 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, loaded with bat speed and strength and can do damage against good velocity and quality breaking balls."

Edited by Paul in Virginia

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-16-2021?t=mlb-draft-coverage

Latest mock from MLB. Has us taking Lawlar over Davis and Rocker. If these were my options, I would definitely go with Davis in a second, but I’d be very happy with Lawlar too. Seems like Watson is starting to become consistently ranked top 3-5 in updated rankings I’m seeing. 

24 minutes ago, osravensfan78 said:

I got a question in today during the Mayo draft chat. Not sure I liked the answer though. Just wanted to share with everyone. 

I'll have my pitchfork at the ready if we select Frelick/Cowser/McLain at #5.  I'm sure I won't be the only one.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with going underslot when you have similar talent to choose from and people aren’t separating themselves, ala Kjerstad last year.

This year is similar in that there seems to be a lot of guys that should be there that carry more upside than the profiles of the college OFers.

It seeems to me that there is a pretty clear cut top 8 of: Mayer, Lawler, Watson, House, Leiter, Rocker, Jobe, Davis. 

I would say there is 0 chance of Mayer or Leiter making it to 5 (Tigers apparently are obsessed with Mayer and Red Sox apparently love Leiter). So if the O's don't go underslot, we're looking at Lawler, Watson, House, Rocker, Jobe, Davis. 

Personally, I'd be over the moon if we got Lawler. Although he might be the most expensive player and the biggest risk at not signing. (I don't know how the money works if he drops to 5, but rumor has it that he'd be more $$ than Mayer at the top). But he seems to be such an elite talent, and he's a great kid too.

I'd also be very happy with Watson or Rocker. Watson has tons of upside and a really nice swing. And Rocker has such filthy stuff and has proven it plays at a high level. 

I know Henry Davis is a great prospect, I'm just not sold on him at this point given our needs. I think he's more valuable as a Catcher and since we don't need him there I'd rather go somewhere else with this pick. It's a down year for college bats, and in a normal year I wonder if the hype would be as high. 

House is intriguing with that athleticism and raw power. But i'm nervous about the profile and feel like it's high celing and low floor. His hit tool isn't great (i heard somewhere that some scouts have thrown out a 40 hit grade). Plus i don't think there's any way he will be a SS long term. Just feels risky with the other players that are available. 

And then with Jobe, the only reason i wouldn't be thrilled with this pitcher is because he's a high school arm. And I know we've had good luck with that in the past, but I am impatient and want a pitcher that is further along. Plus his ridiculous spin rate is one of the main reasons that he's so successful, and who knows what the future is with the sticky substances and all that. This seems too risky for me. 

And in terms of under-slot guys, I was hating on Sal Frelick when I saw the mock suggest he's an option at 5. But the more and more i look at him the more i like him. He's a super athlete, really competitive guy with a great hit tool and tons of speed. People say he would be an amazing clubhouse guy. And he's been comp'd with Brian Roberts and Adam Eaton. Which is exciting. I'd rather not go under-slot again, but if he's the guy there I won't be completely pissed off.