Where do the 2020 draftees fit into our Top 30?

connja

I have Kjerstad at 4.

1. Adley

2. Hall reminds me of Cole Hamels

3. Rodriguez  Jose Berios like

4. Kjerstad I think they see Kyle Tucker from Houston in him.  Tons of power from left side to all fields.  I will be watching Tucker a lot to see how he does with first real major league taste but minor league numbers in power are huge.

On 6/13/2020 at 6:10 PM, wildcard said:

This is a combination of the MLB Draft ratings and the Orioles Prospect ratings.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/orioles/

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

() Overall rating

Just giving my best guess:   

1. Rutschman (65)

2.  Rodriguez  (55)

3.  DL Hall   (55)

4. Mountcastle  (55)

5.   Kjerstad - (55) Similar to Mountcastle but has less experience with wood bats.   Both can hit.  Mountcastle is to 1B what Kjerstad is to RF.

6.  Hayes (50)

7. Henderson  (50)

8. Diaz (50)

9. Kremer (50)

10. Baumann (50)

11.Lowther (50)

12. Akin (50)

13. Westburg  (50)- Adam Hall better hit, runs and field numbers; Westburg better power somehow gets better overall number.

14. Baumler (45)- Rating close to Lowther except overall rating.

15. Harvey (45)

16.  Adam Hall (45)

17. Servideo (45)  Same numbers as Adam Hall

18. Mayo (45)   Hall and Servideo better hit, run and field;  Mayo better arm and power.

19. Stowers (45)

20. Wells (45)

21. Haskins -   (45) rates the same as McKenna but younger and bigger

22.  McKenna  (45)

23.  Rom (45)

24. Bannon (45)

25. Sedlock  (40)

26. Hanifee (40)

27.  Bradish (40)

28. Grenier (40)

29. McCoy (40)

30. Knight (40)

That is my take.  What is yours?

Great list. This is splitting hairs, but I think Grayson is a notch above Hall due to the latter's control issues. I don't know if that makes Grayson a 60 or Hall a 50.

I think I would have Harvey higher unless you are somehow discounting due to injury risk. He is already overpowering big leaguers albeit as a reliever. I don't know if I would have him higher but I might have some guys ahead of him lower (Akin, Lowther).  

Interesting to see Servideo graded that high.

On 6/18/2020 at 11:13 AM, Frobby said:

Including the guys who drafted him.   But I think they have their reasons for putting weight there, other than just blind hope.   

Personally, I don’t like to rank guys who haven’t yet played minor league ball in comparison to those who have.    I’m especially reluctant to do it this year, when the HS/college season was so short and the MiL season has been non-existent.    Normally by now we’d have a good idea of which minor leaguers were progressing well from last year.     Now we have no idea.  So, for me any attempt to rank the players right now is a pretty arbitrary exercise.  

Agree.

On 6/16/2020 at 8:00 PM, ChuckS said:

Mountcastle should be able to play left field adequately and is a better runner than Kjerstad.  I don’t see a whole lot more defensive value coming from Kjerstad. A 40 runner at age 21 is a plodder. 

Kjerstad’s value will also be dependent on his bat. I haven’t seen a single scouting report that he provides any kind of defensive value. 

I watched a lot of video of him this year and I didn't see a 40 plodder. I don't have times for him, but I think he's probably a 45-50 runner currently.

• Upvote 2