Kjerstad comes in at #99 on BA Top 100

Sir_Loin

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Dave Kingman comes to mind .....I’m sure there are others.

FWIW....Adam Jones has hit 282 and his career OBP is .317. I think Kjerstad could get  to 282 faster.

If Kjerstad hits 282, that means his OBP won’t be under 300 and I would bet that he will have a 330+ OBP.

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Thanks ...I wasnt trying to be funny or “not approaching the conversation in good faith”. I was totally serious....I expect .240 AVG, <-300 OBP, 25-35 homers per season, and 175-200 Ks. If he ends up better than that I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

If Martin ends up being Lou Whitaker and Kjerstad ends up being Burnitz it will being pretty convincing that we took the wrong player. Unless as you said they can get 50 WAR out of the other 2 guys.

And this is why I said what I did. You're now anchoring to Whitaker vs. Burnitz as evidence of why it was a bad idea. Whitaker would be an incredible outcome for Martin. Far higher on the distribution than Burnitz would be for Kjerstad's potential outcomes. Now it's just getting tautological. I agree that Martin would have been the better pick than Kjerstad if it turns out that Martin has HoF-level WAR and Kjerstand ends up as a solid but unspectacular player.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Hasn't been for the Red Sox (mostly a LF), but that is his natural position. Apologies for any confusion on that front.

https://www.mlb.com/news/andrew-benintendi-will-man-center-for-red-sox-c223691024

He's also played at least 10 games in center in each of his three full seasons, including 30 (27 started; 241 innings) in 2017. He also played CF exclusively (edit: ALMOST exclusively - h/t @Can of Corn) all through the minors.

He played 63 innings in center last year, he has played 1 more inning in CF in his Major League career than Stevie Wilkerson (also not a center fielder) played last year.

He is an average-ish defensive LF who played CF in college and the minors but would likely be over matched at the MLB level.

Of the 12 players who played 800+ innings in LF, Benintendi ranked 7th in UZR/150. Are the 6 guys ahead of him also center fielders?

Of the 16 players who played 2000+ innings in LF between 2016 and 2019, Benintendi ranks 10th in UZR/150 and 10th in overall defensive value, per Fangraphs.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

And this is why I said what I did. You're now anchoring to Whitaker vs. Burnitz as evidence of why it was a bad idea. Whitaker would be an incredible outcome for Martin. Far higher on the distribution than Burnitz would be for Kjerstad's potential outcomes. Now it's just getting tautological. I agree that Martin would have been the better pick than Kjerstad if it turns out that Martin has HoF-level WAR and Kjerstand ends up as a solid but unspectacular player.

@Frobby said Whitaker.....I said Burnitz.....Frobby who I’m sure you rep’d in this thread talked about Burnitz as a comp for Kjerstad.....read it and get back to me.

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What if Martin is Christian Colon and Kjerstad is Babe Ruth?  Will they have made the better choice?  

I’m not sure what your point is here. Get back to me when Kjerstad’s name can even be used in the same paragraph as Ruth and we can have an intelligent conversation about it.Christan who? 

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I’m not sure what your point is here. Get back to me when Kjerstad’s name can even be used in the same paragraph as Ruth and we can have an intelligent conversation about it.Christan who? 

You don't know my boy Christian Colon?  I've mentioned him a couple of times recently.  Was pleasantly surprised to see SG bring his name up.

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You do the same with Whitaker and Martin.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't know my boy Christian Colon?  I've mentioned him a couple of times recently.  Was pleasantly surprised to see SG bring his name up.

He was either the guy who discovered America or the guy picked after Manny Machado in the 2010 MLB draft.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Colon was a top 5 pick that some thought could stay at SS..power was in question although he had a good hit tool.

He didn’t stay at SS and never developed power and just fizzled our.

Martin has a similar profile.

The 2010 draft was pretty loaded.  He might have well been ranked #2 in a draft year like 2020.