Nick Markakis Opts Out Of 2020 Season

Number5

3 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Funny note that I'm sure has been mentioned before. Nick Markakis has the highest rWAR of the 2003 draft first round (34.2). In second place is none other than Adam Jones (32.5). After those two, it's a rather large drop to Aaron Hill (24.4).

You have to go all the way to the 17th round to find someone who tops either of them with Ian Kinsler (55.2 rWAR). Max Scherzer (60.1) was drafted in the 43rd round, but didn't sign.

The first round of that draft maybe one of worst ever.  They got just 5 guys make anal star.  Markakis, Rickie Weeks, Aron Hill, Chad Cordero, and Carlos Quantino.

3 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

Spotrac estimates that Markakis has made $117.3 million during his career.  Being of "high character", I doubt he has squandered it.

I chatted with his wife briefly last year at a baseball tournament Nick's son and my son were playing in.  Let's just say, I know where some of Nick's money went...  :leaving:

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

The first round of that draft maybe one of worst ever.  They got just 5 guys make anal star.  Markakis, Rickie Weeks, Aron Hill, Chad Cordero, and Carlos Quantino.

First of all, this is a family site, sir. 

Second, are you not counting adam Jones? Because he’s part of the supplemental round?

7 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Funny note that I'm sure has been mentioned before. Nick Markakis has the highest rWAR of the 2003 draft first round (34.2). In second place is none other than Adam Jones (32.5). After those two, it's a rather large drop to Aaron Hill (24.4).

You have to go all the way to the 17th round to find someone who tops either of them with Ian Kinsler (55.2 rWAR). Max Scherzer (60.1) was drafted in the 43rd round, but didn't sign.

If you look at active players, 2003 is the lone exception where more players from an earlier draft are still in the game than 2003. 

Generally speaking 2003 was a horrific draft, probably the worst in the last 30 years in terms of player making the show and performing.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Does playing baseball increase the chances of contracting covid?

Other than the doing nothing vs. doing something aspect that CoC brings up, I think it’s important to frame this correctly. There’s a good chance that a lot of these guys weren’t in full lockdown prior to returning to facilities. 

Most of the guys popping positive were walking around unaware of having it, showed up for testing then found out they had it. It’s not like there’s some unique baseball outbreak, which is how some in the sports media are positioning it. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Other than the doing nothing vs. doing something aspect that CoC brings up, I think it’s important to frame this correctly. There’s a good chance that a lot of these guys weren’t in full lockdown prior to returning to facilities. 

Most of the guys popping positive were walking around unaware of having it, showed up for testing then found out they had it. It’s not like there’s some unique baseball outbreak, which is how some in the sports media are positioning it. 

The sports media is a bunch of drama queens begging for sports to be shut down for political purposes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

45 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I don’t see anyone positioning it that way.   1.2% of the players and staff tested were positive, which is a much lower figure than is estimated to exist for the general population.    

Still, I do think there are reasons why the environment of pro team sports would expose players more than an average person.    There’s inevitable close contact at times on the field while people are breathing hard, the dugout (bench in other sports) and locker room are relatively confined spaces, and there’s a lot of travel involved.     Probably not as bad as working a check out line, but worse than a lot of other jobs.

13 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Was the starting lineup rounded out by Alexis Texas, Tori Black, Lisa Ann, and Cory Chase. ???