9/4 Player Pool - Lowther added

MurphDogg

20 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Off topic, but do we think overflow camp is going to replace every minor league team except AA and AAA after this year? Maybe have just one A league?

Doesn't look like there will be any minor league.   Overflow camp is it.

42 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Off topic, but do we think overflow camp is going to replace every minor league team except AA and AAA after this year? Maybe have just one A league?

The plan is for 120 teams plus GCL and Arizona League. So still two A leagues.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Wait, so what happens to the Iron BirdS?

They weren't on the list for removal (Frederick was though) so presumably they'd just move to a different level. AFAIK the list hasn't been finalized though.

With Urias joining, only Ryan McKenna is on the 40-man roster and not the player pool. 

Kremer was added on the 15th, that was not mentioned yet in this thread.

Glad to see Diaz and Hall working out with team staff.

Now at 56 players, and I would expect Taylor Davis to be cut once Holladay and/or Wynns is demoted to the Bowie camp, as it seems unlikely that the Bowie camp requires 3 and certainly not 4 roster catchers. 

I think Diaz and Kremer were the last two players (plus maybe Urias) with any possible chance of getting into a game for the Orioles in 2020 yet to join, and it would likely take multiple injuries and/or illnesses for that to happen.

The last several spots could go to guys like Kjerstad, Grayson Rodriguez, Adam Hall, and Jordan Westburg who, like DL Hall and Rutschman, have no chance of actually playing for the 2020 Orioles.

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2020 at 6:57 PM, waroriole said:

I think MLB sees the 90% of the minor leaguers they pay as money sinks, and if they could figure out a way to have one or two affiliated teams without taking a massive PR hit they'd do it.  They're very jealous of the NFL and NBA who fell into using college as free minor leagues and huge development risk reduction.

So... not next year.  But maybe in five or 10.

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

With Urias joining, only Ryan McKenna is on the 40-man roster and not the player pool. 

Kremer was added on the 15th, that was not mentioned yet in this thread.

Glad to see Diaz and Hall working out with team staff.

Now at 56 players, and I would expect Taylor Davis to be cut once Holladay and/or Wynns is demoted to the Bowie camp, as it seems unlikely that the Bowie camp requires 3 and certainly not 4 roster catchers. 

No glaring omissions though, I think Diaz and Kremer were the last two players (plus maybe Urias) with any possible chance of getting into a game for the Orioles in 2020 yet to join, and it would likely take multiple injuries and/or illnesses for that to happen.

I’m curious as to McKenna being omitted. Seems strange, especially since they were needing depth earlier with Santander and Smith out.

I don’t think Holoday and/or Wynns is going to Bowie. Hyde has mentioned keeping 3 catchers on the 30 man roster and then 1 of the Taxi Squad players who travel HAVE to be a catcher.

If they need room on the 40, I think Urias is the first cut.  

9 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I don’t think Holoday and/or Wynns is going to Bowie. Hyde has mentioned keeping 3 catchers on the 30 man roster and then 1 of the Taxi Squad players who travel HAVE to be a catcher.

You really think they will have 3 catchers plus a taxi squad catcher? Maybe with the 30-man roster, but it seems pointless once it drops to 28 and actively harmful to carry a third catcher over an extra reliever with a 26-man roster, considering how few off-days there are this season and how taxed I expect the bullpen to be with the Orioles rotation.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

You really think they will have 3 catchers plus a taxi squad catcher? Maybe with a 30-man roster, but it seems pointless once it drops to 28 and actively harmful to carry a third catcher over an extra reliever with a 26-man roster, considering how few off-days there are this season.

With the 30 man, yes I think they will. 

Once it drops to 28 and then 26, I don’t think they will, barring injury/illness. But even if one goes to Bowie, that’s 3 catchers in Bowie. Not really enough to get Davis fired, as they might want him there also incase of injury/illness. Look at what happened in Kansas City, with Perez and his backup getting the virus.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• We’re trotting out A lineup out there and Mounty is hitting 7th and Cowser is on the bench. Both have really ugly numbers since May 1 basically.  We’re discussing game 3 SP, why not discuss do we want Mountcastle starting in the playoffs if it’s not against a LHP?  I’d say no.  As analytic and swing decision our FO is, I bet they want to get rid of Mounty. He was a necessary dude to get us here, but not anymore. Not with Mayo behind him. Mounty might benefit numbers wise, not approach, to get away from the Wall.  Would a contender want him?  If so, which one?  I don’t see why a rebuilding team would want him.  Could we buy and sell at the deadline?  
    • Is there a price you wouldn’t pay for Skubal if he were available? I’m assuming you’d have no qualms about a Mayo, Basallo, McDermott, DeLeon package?
    • I think almost every Orioles fan is interested in Crochet but most do not think he is worth Holliday, Mayo or Basallo. 2.5 years of control for a guy who has been one of the best pitchers in baseball this year is very valuable, but the huge injury question mark and the workload concern about whether he can even start in the playoffs this year (let alone down the stretch in the regular season) erodes that value immensely. Fedde is interesting and has pitched very well to date this season but it’s hard to have much confidence that his performance won’t back up to more in line with his entire career of work prior to this season. Adding the sweeper has clearly taken him to another level, but overall his stuff is still below average and he relies on controlling contact quality, which is often not very stable and it’s still a small sample of him pitching at this level in the MLB. There initially were not many other clearly available SP at the deadline, except for Flaherty, who the Orioles probably won’t want to go round 2 with since it didn’t work out last year. So you’re almost correct that there’s limited options beyond the White Sox SPs. However, it’s now looking like the Rangers, Blue Jays and Rays will be sellers with a number of rental or 1.5 year SPs, which will considerably buffer the supply at the deadline. Even if the Blue Jays and Rays don’t want to trade in-division (and the Rays do often trade in-division, and did with the Orioles in 2022), it’s now looking like there will be a lot more SP available from sellers to meet the demand at the deadline. Crochet is a unique situation since he’s probably the only real ace available at the deadline, but the Orioles would need to build their package around Kjerstad. And they could easily say they’d rather pay a cheaper price from the middle of their farm system to get a rental or 1.5 year guy (like Scherzer, Eovaldi, Heaney, Kikuchi, Bassit, Gausman, Eflin or Littell) to start game 3/4 this year to be able to hang onto Kjerstad. A big factor that’s also a complete unknown to fans is how much the new ownership group is willing to spend. If it’s going to be more of the same, then Crochet’s 2.5 cheap years are much more appealing. But if they are planning to spend this offseason to bring in one or more free agent SPs, then going for a cheaper rental at the deadline and holding onto some prospects could be a better route. 
    • I guess you have to give him the start if you think he has a future here. He certainly gives a different look than most starters. I am concerned about how he looks in the first couple of innings. He seems to throw an extraordinary number of pitches early in the game. His first batter yesterday was beyond horrific. The 3-0 pitch sailed to the backstop. 4 pitches all fastballs and not one close. If I was the opposition I wouldn't swing until he proves he can throw a strike. I don't know whether Cade is just keyed up and has to settle down. I don't know whether they have to adjust his pre-game warmup process. But, something has to be done. He is not going to overwhelm batters he better learn to pitch. I am tired of hearing Jim Palmer talking about adjusting to the mound, an umpire and hitters in the box. If your down 3-0 having only thrown 1 strike, it's time for some adjustments.
    • If Crochet had a longer track record and zero concerns regarding an innings limit this year, we’d be looking for a Juan Soto type package.  That being said, you aren’t getting a guy with elite stuff who currently leads all pitchers in fWAR and comes with two more years of low cost control on the cheap either.  And your proposal is very much lacking after Basallo if you think it’s going to get you two star players.  To me, a solid middle ground for Crochet only would be one of Basallo or Mayo, Beavers, and then one of your better arms like McDermott.  Yes, there would be some risk, but the upside for you guys would be incredible.
    • No it doesn’t have to be Crochet. And yes I would prefer Skubal. But I think it would be wise for us to try to acquire a top tier pitcher. IMO it protects against the possible loss of Burnes in the offseason and it makes us as strong as possible to pursue a World Series this season.
    • Or, he’s just a guy who had a good day.   
  • Popular Contributors