MASN coverage

bpilktree

10 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Any updates on any of this?  Any rumors for 2021 on streaming in-market Orioles games? 

With the advent of Peacock and ESPN+ much of the soccer I watch is now only streaming.  Used to be 2, 3, 4 Premier League matches on every Saturday, now most of them are on Peacock while NBCSports shows monster truck replays.  There was Bundelsiga on Fox Sports, now it looks like most of that is ESPN+.  And the lower division matches I like are only on @scOtt's dicey Russian sites. 

So I'm doing a Hulu/Peacock/CBS streaming trial this week.  Most of the stuff the kids watch is on Hulu.  Only thing that I don't think I can legally/easily get is the Orioles.  But I have six months to figure that out.  That streaming combination is $60-70 a month cheaper than DirecTV.

Nothing new that I am aware of.

Not sure what will happen first, streaming or the end of the MASN court case. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2020 at 8:47 PM, eddie83 said:

Nothing new that I am aware of.

Not sure what will happen first, streaming or the end of the MASN court case. 

Thanks.  Too bad.  To add to my list, I just realized last night that I don't have a good solution for BBC America without Directv or a streaming service other than Hulu.  Can't go without Dr. Who and Top Gear.  Will continue to research options...

Am I wrong in thinking MASN could make more money making it available on streaming devices?

I look at this way..the average age of the baseball fan is far older than most sports.  Most older people are not going to give up cable.  It’s “easier” than the steaming services in many ways.  It’s the younger generation that is going away from cable.  Wouldn’t it make sense to also allow those generations to see your product in different ways?

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Am I wrong in thinking MASN could make more money making it available on streaming devices?

Remember when major league baseball assumed that putting games on TV meant that nobody would come to the games and they'd go bankrupt?  Well, no, you and I don't, but in the 50s that was a common theme.  Of course now they make more money from TV and streaming than gate revenues.  Or close.

As much as the Orioles have progressed the last few years an attitude like that on some things may still prevail.

Or more likely they have contracts with the cable companies and DirecTV that they won't put it on streaming in exchange for more money from people who don't watch sports.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Or more likely they have contracts with the cable companies and DirecTV that they won't put it on streaming in exchange for more money from people who don't watch sports.

Yeah. This is about cable and mlb.tv contracts. It's maddening.