Is the 30 man roster set?

wildcard

24 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Furthermore, ESPN’s Jeff Passan appeared on Sportsnet’s Writer’s Bloc podcast. He mentioned that teams can continue to manipulate service time during the 60-game season. As an example, he said that the Blue Jays could hold pitching prospect Nate Pearson (pictured) in the minors for just the first seven days of the season in order to get an extra year of contractual control.

Like Mountcastle.

On 7/15/2020 at 3:31 PM, Lucky_13 said:

FWIW, Roch was saying that Mullins is starting to play his way onto the roster in one of his recent articles. 

He's on the 40 man and I could see them wanting to have an outfielder on the bench. 

I agree with this.  It kind of surprises me the Mullins has a chance to break in the majors but he could be playing his way on.

Another bigger surprise is Cesar Valdez.   This guy appears to know how to pitch and could add some length.   I am surprised he is in the competition this late.

Someone I am glad to see doing so well in Cole Sulser.   I thought he would make the team but not having seen him that was a guess.   He appears to be doing what he needs to to make the team.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree with this.  It kind of surprises me the Mullins has a chance to break in the majors but he could be playing his way on.

Another bigger surprise is Cesar Valdez.   This guy appears to know how to pitch and could add some length.   I am surprised he is in the competition this late.

Someone I am glad to see doing so well in Cole Sulser.   I thought he would make the team but not having seen him that was a guess.   He appears to be doing what he needs to to make the team.

How in the world can someone play their way onto the team during a two week skirmish of a spring training?

He's facing Oriole pitching, of course he's going to look improved.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How in the world can someone play their way onto the team during a two week skirmish of a spring training?

So do you believe the 30 man Opening Day roster was decided on July 1 when camp opened and nothing but injuries changes that?

On 7/15/2020 at 3:32 PM, Philip said:

If We do not have anybody who is better than Hess, then we are in bad shape indeed.

That depends which Hess you get.  He is still here because he has had some success, and if refocused as an opener or long man could be decent.  That said, if he doeant have it in these 60 games I think that's it.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I’m assuming him being healthy while two other players at his position were not could influence that.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

35-year-old right-hander César Valdez earned the Most Outstanding Pitcher award.

Valdez retired 12 of 14 batters last night, allowing only two hits and no runs. The non-roster invitee is making a push for a roster spot on opening day after spending the past two summers in the Mexican League.

“It’s a really interesting story,” Hyde said. “He’s a pitch-maker in that he’s able to utilize both sides of the plate, change his speeds. I was sitting behind home plate last night. He might have missed one or two spots the entire four innings. Really getting guys out in front with a great changeup he throws from different arm angles. A slider that he throws from different arm angles. As well as he can locate his fastball to both sides of the plate. And even though it plays in the mid-to-upper 80s at times, it plays a little firmer because that changeup is almost like a screwball in that he can really shape it to dive down and arm side.

“I’d just like to continue to take a look at the guy. Every time he’s pitched for us he’s had a lot of success. There’s not a whole lot of panic there. He’s really confident on the mound. He’s done it for a long time and I think he’s got as good a shot as anybody. We’re just going to continue to take a look at him.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/07/means-scratched-from-sunday-exhibition-with-arm-fatigue.html

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Mullins odds are way up. I think he makes team.

Eshleman is a lock now.

Will they carry 3 catchers? 

I get the feeling they see something in Eshleman. They gave him plenty of chances in Spring and now the spot start for Means, I don't get it but I think he makes the team now too. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Eshleman is a lock now.

I think to start, they will. Just a matter of Wynns or Holoday, probably.

10 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I get the feeling they see something in Eshleman. They gave him plenty of chances in Spring and now the spot start for Means, I don't get it but I think he makes the team now too. 

I wonder if they see him as someone that can be an “opener,” spot start, or long man role?

7 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Eshleman is a lock now.

I have not heard that Means will not pitch on opening day yet.   He could pitch a side session and they determine  he is a go for OD  or not.    Kohl Stewart's start on Tuesday is big for him.  It could determine if he makes the team or is optioned. 

Eshelman and/or Valdez may be in consideration to be added to the team to either add a starter or to add length in the pen depending on how Means and Stewart do.

Wynns, Urias and/or  Hector Velazquez could be DFA's if the O's need room on the 40 man roster.  There are currently 39 on the 40 man roster.   If a player is DFA'd from the 40 man roster and clears waivers he can still remain on the 60 man roster.

Valiaka appears to be earning a spot on the bench and he is not on the 40 man.  Wilkerson injury could get him sent to Bowie if he is not ready for OD.  No IL stay required since he is non rostered.

Herrera is playing well but is still on the outside looking in.   He could be an injury replacement if needed but otherwise he goes to Bowie.    Mountcastle's ability to hit and play both 1B and LF duplicates what Herrera does  and could affect Herrera being added to the 40 man  roster.   O's would not want to add Herrera and then have to DFA someone to add Mountcastle in a week.

All comments are JMO.