How long will DJ Stewart be able to hold off Ryan Mountcastle?

wildcard

59 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

A small thing, and hard to tell for sure from the video, but it sure looked like Mountcastle ran out of the box rather than watch the flight of the ball -- on a HR that didn't even count in the exhibition game. I like that.

You are absolutely right, it is easier to tell in this clip with the replay, he definitely takes off out of the box. Although it was hardly a no doubt homer, but nice to see he was not going to get miss the opportunity to have a chance at an extra base.

39 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

You are absolutely right, it is easier to tell in this clip with the replay, he definitely takes off out of the box. Although it was hardly a no doubt homer, but nice to see he was not going to get miss the opportunity to have a chance at an extra base.

"First pitch swinging"

Sigh...

Hasn't he heard that it's more important that he takes pitches?  Anyone can hit dongs, getting into a 2-0 count on the other hand takes skill.

• Upvote 2

On 7/17/2020 at 12:46 PM, MurphDogg said:

Curious how many teams actually bring guys up on the 6th day instead of a few days later to give themselves the veneer of plausible deniability, as service time manipulation is technically against the rules even if it is widely done and widely accepted.

Guess I have my answer. Since Kris Bryant lost his grievance hearing, teams aren't even pretending anymore.

17 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Guess I have my answer. Since Kris Bryant lost his grievance hearing, teams aren't even pretending anymore.

Passan had a couple interesting perspectives in a story the other day I hadn't thought about:

-you can understand the clubs doing the Pearson/Mountcastle thing a little more in this circumstance because of the risk that if they make the Opening Day roster, then covid scuttles the season 10 days later, those 10 days would indeed be a full season of service time.

-the cheeky one....a few guys like Bryant could have a chance to "get even" here.  Theoretically, Bryant could play a week or so, and then opt-out.  Obviously on some level that would upset teammates, but the hardcore Union types might appreciate it on some perverse level.

Just a thought on Mountcastle. I am OK with the wait for service time.

But I think Elias/Hyde have to get over not wanting to promote Mountcastle to be a DH.   Eddie Murray was promoted primarily to be a DH in 1977.    He played in 111 games as a DH and some a other spots.   He won the Rookie of the Year Award.

I think the evaluation has be be done on whether the team's increase in offense with Mountcastle at DH is worth he decrease in defense if Nunez plays 3rd base.    I doubt Ruiz outhits Nunez this season.

They talk about Mountcastle as a left fielder.   A slow, weak armed, inexperienced  outfielder who takes poor routes.   The O's have better guys to play left field IMO.   

But I would like to see Hays, Santander and Mountcastle in the lineup together forming the beginning of a core for the future.  It may  make the 60 game season worthwhile.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Just a thought on Mountcastle. I am OK with the wait for service time.

But I think Elias/Hyde have to get over not wanting to promote Mountcastle to be a DH.   Eddie Murray was promoted primarily to be a DH in 1977.    He played in 111 games as a DH and some a other spots.   He won the Rookie of the Year Award.

I think the evaluation has be be done on whether the team's increase in offense with Mountcastle at DH is worth he decrease in defense if Nunez plays 3rd base.    I doubt Ruiz outhits Nunez this season.

They talk about Mountcastle as a left fielder.   A slow, weak armed, inexperienced  outfielder who takes poor routes.   The O's have better guys to play left field IMO.   

But I would like to see Hays, Santander and Mountcastle in the lineup together forming the beginning of a core for the future.  It may  make the 60 game season worthwhile.

Oh, I can outhit Nunez.  ;)

I'd have Mountcastle in the lineup as soon as he's ready.  They should be focused on developing their young players - the quicker the better - regardless of service time.  Not playing them is not developing them.    

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Oh, I can outhit Nunez.  ;)

I'd have Mountcastle in the lineup as soon as he's ready.  They should be focused on developing their young players - the quicker the better - regardless of service time.  Not playing them is not developing them.    

The guy hit 31 HRs last year.   You must be quite the hitter.

• Upvote 2