Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

"Awww shucks, we were really going for it this year, but then the leagues started yanking us around because of other teams' COVID concerns... I guess another top-3 draft pick is some conciliation..."

Here is a question for you.    If the Marlins get shut down for the season,  and they only have 2 wins........does that mean they get the #1 draft choice?   Or do the win the division on winning percentage?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Here is a question for you.    If the Marlins get shut down for the season,  and they only have 2 wins........does that mean they get the #1 draft choice?   Or do the win the division on winning percentage?

Will the draft even happen?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Sure, Mike has to have something to do.

It's like... we finally get a real world-class analytics department and we can't even use the tools because there's no one to go scout. 

Come on, baseball gods throw us a frickin' bone here. 

25 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Any source on the three week number..? 

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/how-long-after-coronavirus-are-you-contagious

This is says 10 days after symptom onset.  However given we know the virus can take 10 days to incubate, they have to wait until then to make sure other players also aren't infected.  

I guess they could only play the players who tested negative - so maybe two weeks.

1 minute ago, GuidoSarducci said:

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/how-long-after-coronavirus-are-you-contagious

This is says 10 days after symptom onset.  However given we know the virus can take 10 days to incubate, they have to wait until then to make sure other players also aren't infected.  

I guess they could only play the players who tested negative - so maybe two weeks.

Miami doesn't want 'em playing for two weeks.

• Thanks 1

The Orioles are scheduled to play the Yankees during two of those dates when  the Marlins are supposed to play the Phillies.

So the Orioles would have to sit another two days despite being healthy so the Yankees and Phillies can play?

Additional rescheduling is to be announced, got to assume that someone other than the Orioles ends up getting those off days. Doesn't make sense for the Orioles to get them as they will already be short two games.

Thank goodness that the all eastern schedule makes rescheduling easier.

45 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Reports confirmed, looks like game on with the Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday. John Means can pitch the game on Thursday.

Gotta think the September swap I discussed earlier happens to even out the schedule some.

They also match up in the first week in August.  Phillies vs Marlins and Orioles vs Yanks.  We can play Marlins 3,4,5,6 to make it up. Phillies Yanks same 4 days easy swap.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

They also match up in the first week in August.  Phillies vs Marlins and Orioles vs Yanks.  We can play Marlins 3,4,5,6 to make it up. Phillies Yanks same 4 days easy swap.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Marlins are not going to be a go next week. My guess is they rejigger the schedule so that the Phillies play someone else (possibly the Yankees) and a team that isn't the Yankees, Orioles, Nationals, or Phillies (since they are already down 2, 2, 3, and 4 games) will have days off while the Marlins recover.

Also, the Yankees-Orioles series is a 3-game series and the Yankees don't have an off-day on either side, so it isn't an easy four day swap.

This is of course assuming that no Phillies test positive by Friday and they play their weekend series and are ready to resume a normal schedule.

On Sunday I speculated that sooner or later a team would have 6-10 players test positive all at the same time, but I never dreamed it would happen within 24 hours.    Even with the chaos, no fans, etc., I really did enjoy having some baseball to watch last weekend.   I hope the Marlins situation turns out to be a one-off, but I wouldn’t bet on it.  

• Upvote 2