Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

No other new cases in the other 29 teams is good news (for now). But...

• Florida really is just a petri dish right now. You couldn't pay me to go down there right now. 
  • The Marlins (maybe) were more lax than they should have been. (speculation)
  • Makes it feel like Jeter and Co. are poor leaders, regardless of if they had any impact. The fact is it will just come off that way. And there's a good amount of evidence to support that pre-COVID. 
  • Rojas leading the vote to play the Phillies and then testing positive is a super bad look. 
  • I hope all these guys recover quickly. 
  • Upvote 1

Hopefully MLB has learned their lesson and if another team has 3 guys test positive at once, their games are canceled until further notice.

No more players voting in the clubhouse.

And if we are looking on the bright side, hopefully this episode shakes the players out of their complacency and they become more stringent on social distancing in the dugout, clubhouse, plane, and elsewhere off the field.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

No other new cases in the other 29 teams is good news (for now). But...

• Florida really is just a petri dish right now. You couldn't pay me to go down there right now. 
  • The Marlins (maybe) were more lax than they should have been. (speculation)
  • Makes it feel like Jeter and Co. are poor leaders, regardless of if they had any impact. The fact is it will just come off that way. And there's a good amount of evidence to support that pre-COVID. 
  • Rojas leading the vote to play the Phillies and then testing positive is a super bad look. 
  • I hope all these guys recover quickly. 

I would add:

-The MLB policy of leaving social distancing up to the team and individual is a joke. If they are not going to do a bubble, they need at least some common set of protocols on and off the field. 

-Packing these guys into a small charter plane should be avoided at all costs. I can see why they did ATL to PHI by plane but anything under six hours they should do personal limos.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

On Sunday I speculated that sooner or later a team would have 6-10 players test positive all at the same time, but I never dreamed it would happen within 24 hours.    Even with the chaos, no fans, etc., I really did enjoy having some baseball to watch last weekend.   I hope the Marlins situation turns out to be a one-off, but I wouldn’t bet on it.  

Me either. I hope not, I hope that no one even shows symptoms. But I don't think that this is it. I think the players go out. 

43 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would add:

-The MLB policy of leaving social distancing up to the team and individual is a joke. If they are not going to do a bubble, they need at least some common set of protocols on and off the field. 

-Packing these guys into a small charter plane should be avoided at all costs. I can see why they did ATL to PHI by plane but anything under six hours they should do personal limos.

It is a difficult needle to thread. I don't want to get into the disease discussion right here because different people have different opinions on this and different political tribes have different belief systems on the subject. But it is going to be tough and I hope the threading goes well. 

Just now, Morgan423 said:

In context, I think he means "now that we know they've been exposed."

That's some terrible phrasing right there.

I think you're right. The way Slater wrote the tweet suggested that they allowed someone to lick all the water bottles in the locker room. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, weams said:

It is a difficult needle to thread. I don't want to get into the disease discussion right here because different people have different opinions on this and different political tribes have different belief systems on the subject. But it is going to be tough and I hope the threading goes well. 

Being flexible with the schedule is going to be necessary. The incubation period for a reliable test is typically a few days, so in events like this - a team will have to shut down for a few days like the Marlins have in this instance. I'd expect to see lots of double headers later in the season.

MLB really could have benefited from starting in early July and spacing out the games a bit to allow flexibility in the schedule. The packed schedule just doesn't leave a lot of room for anything to go wrong. And plenty of things go wrong during a normal year, let alone crazy 2020.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Being flexible with the schedule is going to be necessary. The incubation period for a reliable test is typically a few days, so in events like this - a team will have to shut down for a few days like the Marlins have in this instance. I'd expect to see lots of double headers later in the season.

MLB really could have benefited from starting in early July and spacing out the games a bit to allow flexibility in the schedule. The packed schedule just doesn't leave a lot of room for anything to go wrong. And plenty of things go wrong during a normal year, let alone crazy 2020.

It's starting to look to me like the better idea might have been to add a week or so at the end of the season to make up missed games that potentially affect the post-season.