Going for the Sweep (vs. NATIONALS, 8/09)

OFFNY

Just now, GuidoSarducci said:

I guess Hyde has the right strategy pulling the starter early even though no runs were allowed... though there were signs Wojo wasn't haven't the best day and Stras seemed to be pitching well up until that walk to Valaika.

Wojo was pitching on short rest. You have to think they would keep Wojo in for a chance at a decision if he were rested, especially if the top of the 5th went the way it just did.

Just now, weams said:

Well he screamed at the manager and trainer when they tried to come out before. 

Yep, not sure a manager can cede that much control to a player. I generally prefer player's managers, but they have to have the backbone to pull a guy when he is done before things get out of hand.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Squeeze Lakins for another inning or 2 first.

Not sure you need to, with a day off tomorrow.

Armstrong up instead? That is nuts, he threw 25 pitches last night over an inning and 2 thirds. Last time he pitched on back-to-back days he gave up two runs on a hit and a walk while retiring only one batter.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Yep, not sure a manager can cede that much control to a player. I generally prefer player's managers, but they have to have the backbone to pull a guy when he is done before things get out of hand.

Agree, except for the rare case of the guy having a chance at a no-hitter or perfect game. A manager trying to pull a pitcher when they haven't yet given up on the no-hitter is really bad manners, regardless of pitch count.