It's time for the OH to turn the page

wildcard

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think it's possible the Orioles see something in these guys that they like and it's possible that they'll thrive with the right coaching and environment and data.

Sulser has had ridiculous K rates in the minors since 2016.  In the old days (10+ years ago) someone with 12 or 14 K/9 in AAA would be tagged as a coming closer.  I don't know how to read that stuff anymore, not with the league K rate at 9, and that guy you just saw looking at motor oil at WalMart strikes out seven per nine.  But 12 K/9 can't be a bad thing.

wildcard could be right in this case, just for the wrong reasons.  He thinks Sulser is awesome because he hasn't allowed a run over his last three games.  Of course that's silly, but whatever.

He has also had those K rates while pitching in his upper 20s

And sure, like I said, it’s not like it’s unheard for a reliever to come out of nowhere and be good.  I just don’t see any reason to peg that person after only 15 innings of ML baseball.  I think a larger sampling is needed before we pencil him in to be the next Hoffman.

"It’s nice to see because (my changeup is) one of the pitches I worked on in spring training, and to get some swings and misses, especially with two strikes, isn’t something that I’m used to,” said Means, who also made use of the Edgertronic high-speed cameras that the Orioles brought to camp.

"More of execution and release point. Chris Holt is kind of like the changeup guru. We were working on it a lot in spring training and he was showing me what I was doing wrong with it and what I need to be doing with it and it’s been working well.”

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/john-means-thrives-with-change-of-pace/

Don't you watch the same team I do?  Why am I the one that remembers this and you don't?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

"It’s nice to see because (my changeup is) one of the pitches I worked on in spring training, and to get some swings and misses, especially with two strikes, isn’t something that I’m used to,” said Means, who also made use of the Edgertronic high-speed cameras that the Orioles brought to camp.

"More of execution and release point. Chris Holt is kind of like the changeup guru. We were working on it a lot in spring training and he was showing me what I was doing wrong with it and what I need to be doing with it and it’s been working well.”

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/john-means-thrives-with-change-of-pace/

Yes he was one of the ones that was better.  For what I saw on most lists DL Hall dropped a bit, was that Holt as well?

I don't see anything way out of the ordinary about the development of the minor league pitching last year. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes he was one of the ones that was better.  For what I saw on most lists DL Hall dropped a bit, was that Holt as well?

I don't see anything way out of the ordinary about the development of the minor league pitching last year. 

Your kidding right.   Bowie and Delmarva pitching improved greatly last season.   Probably one of the reasons Holt was made Director of Pitching for the majors and minors. Geez.  You need help.  

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Your kidding right.   Bowie and Delmarva pitching improved greatly last season.   Probably one of the reasons Holt was made Director of Pitching for the majors and minors. Geez.  You need help.  

You know that's insulting right?  I mean you basically called me stupid earlier.

You come in here WITH NOTHING TO SUPPORT YOUR VIEWS and then you use derogatory language towards folks that have the hubris to disagree with you.

SHOW ME where the Orioles' pitching prospects are overall more highly regarded.  Norfolk was a dumpster fire, Holt get a free pass on that?

Some guys improved, some guys dropped back.  Honestly things under Holt pretty much look like they always do.  Anytime a pitcher takes a step forward they say how great the instruction is. 

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you are calling John Means a turd.   You have not changed a bit.

No, I’m calling Lakins and Sulser that..and it’s more metaphorical than anything, so no need to get all sensitive about it.  You had never heard of these guys prior to them signing here, so while you may want to be the president of their fan club, even you should be able to admit that it’s unlikely they ever become anything given their pro history.

Means’ velocity increase is probably the best part of this season, assuming he can sustain it.