Momentum is the next game's relief pitchers.

wildcard

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Hyde has used  Sulser, Castro, Givens and Larkin two days in a row.  I imagine they will get a day off today.   That means the pen is Armstrong, Scott, Fry, Phillips, Hess and Akin.   Eshelman went 4 innings in his last start and might be able to go five but not having some of the key relievers may make it harder to win.

Runs early will be difficult because its a 4 o'clock game with shadows and then there is Arrieta.  So the O's probably have a  better chance to score in the 6th through the 9th.   On the plus side a day game after a night game might see Davis on the bench.

Akin would be a good follow up to Eshelman. Hopefully Eshelman can give them five innings and Akin can give them two.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It is?

Haha, I love you man… I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. I was doing that on the grounds that they know more about baseball than I do. It is possible that they do not, and it is not a defensible position.

But even if I do no more baseball then they do, they aren’t falling all over themselves to offer me a position. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Haha, I love you man… I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. I was doing that on the grounds that they know more about baseball than I do. It is possible that they do not, and it is not a defensible position.

But even if I do no more baseball then they do, they aren’t falling all over themselves to offer me a position. Oh well.

I’m just saying, what upside does Eshelman have and why does he deserve to start over Akin?  

Is it merely because he has been worked more and can throw more pitches?  

I believe we heard that Akin was up to the 70s in terms of pitch count while down at Bowie.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m just saying, what upside does Eshelman have and why does he deserve to start over Akin?  

Is it merely because he has been worked more and can throw more pitches?  

I believe we heard that Akin was up to the 70s in terms of pitch count while down at Bowie.

Oh, I don’t disagree with you one bit, I think Aiken should start. I would love to give him a start, and Lowther too. Maybe Zimmerman.

I do not see any reason why Eshelman should start, and you misunderstood what I said.

I was only saying that the guys in charge know more than I do and they have their reasons. I am giving them a bit of the doubt in assuming that their reasons are defensible, Because I cannot think of any reason on my own, why Eshelman is starting.

Maybe he married the bosses daughter?

edit: I don’t think pitch count means anything here, whoever starts isn’t going to go more than ~70 pitches anyway.

Edited by Philip

Hyde's pre-game comments today sort of suggested to me that he may not be the biggest fan of having Akin up here. 

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/ruiz-on-his-defense-and-hair-hyde-on-davis-and-akin.html

“I wanted to try to get him in the correct situation, try to take care of him the best I possibly could,” Hyde said. “It hasn’t happened yet and we’ve been playing well, we’ve had the lead and I’ve wanted to use other people right now. This is the big leagues and we’re trying to win games and so when I feel like it’s his time to pitch, that will be the time.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement right there.  Regardless, the way they have treated Akin with this call-up seems very out of the ordinary compared to how they are handling other prospects. 

7 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Hyde's pre-game comments today sort of suggested to me that he may not be the biggest fan of having Akin up here. 

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/ruiz-on-his-defense-and-hair-hyde-on-davis-and-akin.html

“I wanted to try to get him in the correct situation, try to take care of him the best I possibly could,” Hyde said. “It hasn’t happened yet and we’ve been playing well, we’ve had the lead and I’ve wanted to use other people right now. This is the big leagues and we’re trying to win games and so when I feel like it’s his time to pitch, that will be the time.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement right there.  Regardless, the way they have treated Akin with this call-up seems very out of the ordinary compared to how they are handling other prospects. 

Yea, they actually called him up.  ?

That does seem to be an oddly pessimistic thing for Hyde to say about one of his players.

8 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Sounds like Hyde wants to win now.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

And that he has little confidence In Akin.

My impression has been that Hyde wants Akin's first appearance to be in a non-pressure situation, where the Orioles either have an insurmountable lead or are hopelessly behind.

If Eshelman gets blasted early, today might be Akin's chance.  If the Orioles keep it close, he may be waiting a little longer.