Hays to IL with rib fracture, Mullins up, Lopez activated

MurphDogg

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

And Mullins is a 4th OF type at best. I don’t expect him to be around for more than a couple of seasons 

Mullins could be an asset to a well-rounded team.  He can play a little defense, hit righties a bit, he can run, pinch run.  Could have had a longer career in the 1980s, like an Alex Cole, Milt Thompson, Mitch Webster kind of player, back before bullpens devoured the roster.  Unlikely he's ever a starter for a good team.

37 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Mullins could be an asset to a well-rounded team.  He can play a little defense, hit righties a bit, he can run, pinch run.  Could have had a longer career in the 1980s, like an Alex Cole, Milt Thompson, Mitch Webster kind of player, back before bullpens devoured the roster.  Unlikely he's ever a starter for a good team.

I feel like you are not quite accounting for his .802 OPS over the past two weeks.   Perhaps that means that he is getting hot at the right time!

But perhaps you are over adjusting for his .500 OPS over the past 7 days.   Perhaps that means he is not any good!

Gah.  What to do when two arbitrary small sample sizes conflict?!?!!?

I guess you just pick the smallest and most recent sample size possible?  Isn't that how it works?

In his last game he was 0 for 2 with a BB.   In his last AB he made an out.   Guess he's not any good.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I also remember that Mullins has a career MLB OPS of .596, and a AAA OPS of .670.  Hard to depend on someone as an everyday starter when they can't hit.  When healthy Hayes is clearly a better player.

Yes, when healthy.  I have  been a Hays supporter.  I think he is very talented.  But it takes more than that to be a successful major leaguer.  Health plays a big role and right now Hays looks like the Hunter Harvey of position players.   Very talent and injury prone.

I would have agreed that Mullins is a 4th OFer coming into this season.  But I like what I  am seeing from him.  He seems to cover just as much ground as Hays and gets good jumps.  He can steal a base and is a good bunter.  He had a 298 average and a 365 OBP in August.    If that continues he is a leadoff hitter.    

I accept that its too early to say that Mullins is an everyday CF but right now he is ahead of Hays because at least he can stay on the field.  And once more if he is still  producing like that when Hays returns I would keep Mullins as the leadoff hitter.  And let Hays get time in LF/CF/RF/DH giving all those regulars rest.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He had a 298 average and a 365 OBP in August.    If that continues he is a leadoff hitter.   

He has over 2200 professional plate appearances and a .323 OBP.  So far in the majors he has a .287.  His .365 OBP in your hand-picked sample would be .303 if he went 0-for-his-next-8.  He'll be 26 in a month.  He has a massive L/R split.  I'm sure you know that a .365 going forward is highly unlikely.  But we''ll continue to monitor.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He has over 2200 professional plate appearances and a .323 OBP.  So far in the majors he has a .287.  His .365 OBP in your hand-picked sample would be .303 if he went 0-for-his-next-8.  He'll be 26 in a month.  He has a massive L/R split.  I'm sure you know that a .365 going forward is highly unlikely.  But we''ll continue to monitor.

Fair points.  Lets give it some time.  But I do like what I am seeing.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I would have agreed that Mullins is a 4th OFer coming into this season.  But I like what I  am seeing from him.  He seems to cover just as much ground as Hays and gets good jumps.  He can steal a base and is a good bunter. 

I cut this quote off here before you got into the SSS stuff.

I like these aspects of Mullins too. He seems to have gotten over his early issues on jumps, and covers a lot of ground defensively.    His arm has looked better this year than in the past.    I’m very comfortable with either Mullins or Hays defensively.   Overall, I’d say Mullins has slightly better range, whereas Hays has the clearly better arm.     

I do like Mullins’ bunting ability and speed, as well.     

To me, his skill set says late inning defensive replacement/pinch runner/pinch hitter in a sacrifice situation.   Occasional starter.     

I don’t think he’s a .365 OBP guy despite the fact he did that in August.   His career OBP in the majors is .287; in the minors it was .323.     I’d hope for .300+ and leave it at that.   

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I cut this quote off here before you got into the SSS stuff.

I like these aspects of Mullins too. He seems to have gotten over his early issues on jumps, and covers a lot of ground defensively.    His arm has looked better this year than in the past.    I’m very comfortable with either Mullins or Hays defensively.   Overall, I’d say Mullins has slightly better range, whereas Hays has the clearly better arm.     

I do like Mullins’ bunting ability and speed, as well.     

To me, his skill set says late inning defensive replacement/pinch runner/pinch hitter in a sacrifice situation.   Occasional starter.     

I don’t think he’s a .365 OBP guy despite the fact he did that in August.   His career OBP in the majors is .287; in the minors it was .323.     I’d hope for .300+ and leave it at that.   

The thing about Hays that every time is dives I hold my breath hoping he is alright.  When Mullins dives I expect he will pop back up and be fine.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

The thing about Hays that every time is dives I hold my breath hoping he is alright.  When Mullins dives I expect he will pop back up and be fine.

I still don’t see that as a reason not to play Hays when he’s healthy.  Let’s say he’s going to get hurt once every 500 innings he plays.   It’s not going to matter whether the 500 innings take place over 60 games or are spread out over 100. I still want him out there as much as possible.  

On 8/15/2020 at 4:00 PM, MurphDogg said:

About as well as Santander and Dwight Smith, Jr.. He could play it in a pinch but he would be a liability out there, and not someone you would want penciled in every day.

Better than either of your examples, but he is a right fielder. With a right fielder arm. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I still don’t see that as a reason not to play Hays when he’s healthy.  Let’s say he’s going to get hurt once every 500 innings he plays.   It’s not going to matter whether the 500 innings take place over 60 games or are spread out over 100. I still want him out there as much as possible.  

Yes, up to a certain point. He's got to hit. And we should give him a TON of rope to prove himself. But if he's injury prone he's got to at least hit while he's healthy. Otherwise he's just Reimold. 

• 2 weeks later...

Outfielder Austin Hays is working out at the secondary camp site and nearing a return from the injured list. He’s scheduled to play in a simulated game on Wednesday.

“I’m actually feeling really good,” he said yesterday. “Today was a big test for me and everything went according to plan, so we’re going to try to get back into games next week. We’re going to hit on the field and take BP on the field tomorrow and shag balls live in the outfield and on Wednesday I’m going to do my first sim game. So that will be huge to get some live at-bats and make sure my ribs can hold up. But I threw today and hit in the cage.

“I’ve been doing a lot of running stuff the last four or five days and I haven’t had any complications and my ribs feel good, so now it’s just a matter of getting my body in shape.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/09/injury-updates-on-chris-davis-and-austin-hays.html

• Upvote 1