The Rubber Match (vs. NATIONALS, 8/16)

OFFNY

Just now, SteveA said:

Well, when your starter is knocked out in the first and you are facing Scherzer, your chances aren't good.   We made it a game.

It's disappointing that poor defense made the difference.

I'm worried Means might become a headcase like Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, and the cast of thousands who've had "great stuff" but absolutely implode in the first inning for us. They've been doing it since 1998, maybe even earlier. "Flashes of brilliance" describes about every Orioles starter we've tried to raise through the farm system.

Maybe we should adopt a strategy of "buy the arms, grow the bats" since it seems we don't have any problem coaching hitters. Go spend money on guys like Scherzer when they hit FA (obviously not Scherzer himself, he's getting old, but I mean sign him when he was on the market after being with the Tigers.)

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Was it really not obvious that that’s a joke? The whole point of the comment was that there are no kids in the stand.

however, I think Nunez should have had it. His defense is just terrible everywhere.

Totally disagree that one was on Nunez.    It was far to his backhand side and shorthopped in a very awkward way.    But the earlier play where Núñez had to take the out at first rather than cutting down the lead runner was costly.  

5 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

I'm worried Means might become a headcase like Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, and the cast of thousands who've had "great stuff" but absolutely implode in the first inning for us. They've been doing it since 1998, maybe even earlier. "Flashes of brilliance" describes about every Orioles starter we've tried to raise through the farm system.

Maybe we should adopt a strategy of "buy the arms, grow the bats" since it seems we don't have any problem coaching hitters. Go spend money on guys like Scherzer when they hit FA (obviously not Scherzer himself, he's getting old, but I mean sign him when he was on the market after being with the Tigers.)

Would be "funny" if less stuff Means was an all-star and good stuff Means is a bust.

11 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

Whoa let's not no to conclusions here.

We have a pitcher that missed a chunk of summer camp which was already a weird way to prep for a season.  He came back, and his first start didn't go well, but then his second was very good.  Then he loses his father and is gone for 12 days and probably didn't pitch at all.

So he comes out and isn't sharp, his defense let's him down, and he's taken out before he endanger his arm with a 40+ pitch inning.

To go from there to "head case" is a ridiculous leap, IMO.

24 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Down 5-1 to a future HOF when your starter doesn’t get out of 1st inning. Let’s play well rest of week. 

Except that we came back, all the way back, and we were in front, except we have some sucky pictures and some periodic terrible defense.

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Totally disagree that one was on Nunez.    It was far to his backhand side and shorthopped in a very awkward way.    But the earlier play where Núñez had to take the out at first rather than cutting down the lead runner was costly.  

I only saw the play once, so I will defer to your judgment. I think my larger point that Nunez’ defense is not good anywhere remains valid however

16 hours ago, Philip said:

The defense cost us, the pitching cost us, I’m not going to blame the hitting, overall I think the hitting was pretty good. I will however blame the manager for not lobbying for some of the better players who are available.

I'm hoping it works out for Nunez at 1st base - and if he focuses just on 1st base and works hard at it, he can do a decent job there - he certainly cannot at 3rd base - where he should never play again.  But yeah, he's got to improve, or he's just a DH.  1st base is a more important position than most people understand, imo - even if not much athleticism is needed.