Well, we suck again...

Philip

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think Givens is a guy that can get us a decent prospect back.  Maybe 3-4 years ago, not so much now.

I wouldn't mind selling off players now but I think, per usual, that we overrate what we have here and will be underwhelmed at the type of talent we would get back.

It’s tough to say.  Givens is throwing great. BPs are so important and the shorter season makes that even more important.

The bigger question is what will teams be willing to give up in such an odd season.  Will it be worth it to trade these guys?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think Givens is a guy that can get us a decent prospect back.  Maybe 3-4 years ago, not so much now.

I wouldn't mind selling off players now but I think, per usual, that we overrate what we have here and will be underwhelmed at the type of talent we would get back.

I don’t overrate anybody. Almost nobody here talks about these players except in terms of offense. Baseball smarts, i.e. fundamentals on defense and on the base paths, are also important, and ours suck.

I do think some of our guys have enough value To be of interest to another team, but the only return we’re going to get are some guys who are several years away, Who are most likely to flame out. That’s based on the idea of “get a lot of guys” so that that 10% success rate will result in meaningful return.

Edited by Philip

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It's almost like talent will eventually win out over the long run. 

I believe Hyde will try to win every game with the personnel he has. I don't believe Elias wants to win this year and prefers at least one more year of great draft position. 

I agree, yes. Hyde will try hard.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s tough to say.  Givens is throwing great. BPs are so important and the shorter season makes that even more important.

The bigger question is what will teams be willing to give up in such an odd season.  Will it be worth it to trade these guys?

Givens has exactly 9 innings, And most of them haven’t been high leverage. He has 13 strikeouts but four walks.

he has Value, But it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if Armstrong has more.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(AUGUST 22nd)

Hyde and Staff Getting Positive Reviews Through Good and Bad Times

(By Roch Kubatko)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/hyde-and-staff-getting-positive-reviews-through-good-and-bad-times.html

o

It’s Roch...what else is he gonna say? He’s like the White House press guy.

35 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(AUGUST 22nd)

Hyde and Staff Getting Positive Reviews Through Good and Bad Times

(By Roch Kubatko)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/hyde-and-staff-getting-positive-reviews-through-good-and-bad-times.html

o

18 minutes ago, Philip said:

Its Roch ...... what else is he gonna say ??? He’s like the White House press guy.

o

"The team sucks, the manager sucks, the front-office sucks, and I suck. I have no idea why any of you are bothering to pay any attention at all to the 2020 Orioles."

o

2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

"The team sucks, the manager sucks, the front-office sucks, and I suck. I have no idea why any of you are bothering to pay any attention at all to the 2020 Orioles."

o

My beef with the local beats is that they never get below the surface. They have never shared meaningful information. I’ve gotten more insight from Jon Shepard or here at OH than I ever did from those guys.

But you’re right. I know that’s their job, and I shouldn’t be so harsh. 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

My beef with the local beats is that they never get below the surface. They have never shared meaningful information. Ive gotten more insight from Jon Shepard or here at OH than I ever did from those guys.

But youre right. I know that thats their job, and I shouldnt be so harsh. 

o

I wasn't necessarily defending his position, I was just making a joke ...... feel free to be harsh.

o

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

I wasn't necessarily defending his position, I was just making a joke ...... feel free to be harsh.

o

I do not know who Luke Jones is, nor what his connection is to the Orioles, but I just read an excellent article that he wrote about Davis and Mountcastle. It was honest and unvarnished. Some of the Beat Guys never wrote anything like that, or could.

On 8/21/2020 at 1:37 PM, Philip said:

Givens has exactly 9 innings, And most of them haven’t been high leverage. He has 13 strikeouts but four walks.

he has Value, But it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if Armstrong has more.

I like Armstrong more than most but there is little to no chance he has more value.

As for Givens not pitching in high leverage situations.  He is 25th in the AL, amongst relievers, in WPA.   That is, for example, 20 spots higher than Armstrong.  The only Oriole ahead of Givens is Scott, who is 8th.

• Thanks 1