Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Final tallies:

Santander 165 PA, .890 OPS, 1.3 rWAR, 1.5 rWAR

Mullins 153 PA, .723 OPS, 0.4 rWAR.

Mountcastle 140 PA, .878 OPS, 0.5 rWAR

Hays 134 PA, .722 OPS, 0.7 rWAR

Stewart 112 PA, .809, 0.6 rWAR

The Santander injury was unfortunate, but Hyde did a nice job of using the opportunity spread the playing time around.    Now we go into next season with all these guys having had a taste of semi-regular playing time in the majors. That’s a nice spot to be in.   

It’s really important to not talk about these guys without also discussing their defense, because defense is really important and as we saw with Trumbo, bad defense can wipe out good offense.

Stewart made an honestly great catch last night, and he’s faster than he looks, so he might be ok, though Santander my RF for now. Mullins has no arm, but being able to get to and catch the ball is paramount. Hays needs to stay healthy. I’d rather have MC learning first. He hits, but his glove is something to write home about.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

It’s really important to not talk about these guys without also discussing their defense, because defense is really important and as we saw with Trumbo, bad defense can wipe out good offense.

Stewart made an honestly great catch last night, and he’s faster than he looks, so he might be ok, though Santander my RF for now. Mullins has no arm, but being able to get to and catch the ball is paramount. Hays needs to stay healthy. I’d rather have MC learning first. He hits, but his glove is something to write home about.

Yes, I included the WAR figures because they tell you something about their defense.   Obviously there is more we could say about that and I think I made a post within the last two weeks citing Rtot, Rdrs, UZR and OAA for all of them.   To me Hays is the best all around defender of the group.   Mullins covers a bit more ground but has nowhere near the arm Hays does.   Santander is solid enough and I think Stewart and Mountcastle are below average.   It’s going to be interesting if and when Diaz gets called up because I think he’s at least average and maybe a bit better defensively.   

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, weams said:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outs_above_average?type=Fielding_Team&year=2020&team=&range=year&min=q&pos=of&roles=&viz=show

And...Stewart's good catches and a few Mullins + Hays days late got the Orioles up to 9th (this is perhaps the same thing Mountcastle/Kremer will do for the FARM rank).

If Yusniel is actually any good, it could be fun to see what Hays/Mullins/Diaz could do, with Mountcastle/Santander 1B/DH.

• Upvote 1