Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

Markakis OPS by season (since going to ATL)

2015: .746

2016: .744

2017: .747 (so far)

I'm not really sure he could be more consistent if he tried.  He is on pace for a (roughly) 1 WAR season.......not amazing but not that bad either.

22 hours ago, Aglets said:

Markakis OPS by season (since going to ATL)

2015: .746

2016: .744

2017: .747 (so far)

I'm not really sure he could be more consistent if he tried.  He is on pace for a (roughly) 1 WAR season.......not amazing but not that bad either.

I think at the price you have to declare it bad. 

On 6/9/2017 at 11:33 AM, weams said:

I think at the price you have to declare it bad. 

Per fangraphs, Nick was paid $22 mm the last two years and has been worth $20.9 mm.    He's on pace to be worth $9 mm this season, compared to his $11 mm salary.     So, a slight overpay, but not a disaster.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Per fangraphs, Nick was paid $22 mm the last two years and has been worth $20.9 mm.    He's on pace to be worth $9 mm this season, compared to his $11 mm salary.     So, a slight overpay, but not a disaster.    

That was essentially our offer.  He is getting paid 11 mm next year too.

On 6/8/2017 at 7:58 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Saw this article:

http://www.talkingchop.com/2017/6/7/15751688/nick-markakis-atlanta-braves-power-surge-hitting

Looks like Nick has fallen on hard times.

The same article could be written about pretty much every veteran the Orioles have let go over the past five years except Nelson Cruz and Andrew Miller.

17 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

That was essentially our offer.  He is getting paid 11 mm next year too.

And we'll see how he does.   Nothing so far suggests a precipitous decline is coming.    

Please understand, I didn't criticize the O's from moving on.   I wasn't thrilled with the way they handled the negotiations, but I thought their decision was fine.    And, it was always questionable why a rebuilding team like the Braves would spend $44 mm on a solid but not spectacular player like Nick.    But purely on the question of how he's done compared to his contract, he's been a very mild overpay, not a disaster by any means.    And I expect that will continue to be the case.    

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So the Markakis Watch thread got merged into this one?    Booooo!

In any event, here's a nice article on Nick from the Atlanta Journal Constitution from a couple weeks back:  http://atlantabraves.blog.ajc.com/2017/06/08/markakis-not-a-big-star-but-something-special/

Great stuff and interesting comparisons to star players like Machado, Fowler, Altuve, etc.  And to finish with a song by Van Morrison!  To me, Nickie will always be a LI boy, however!  ;-)

206861_1862736778748_6872489_n.jpg?oh=88